Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus trepidation... convince me otherwise!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

OK Folks this question has been a long time coming. I know I'm gonna hear a lot of good and bad from both camps... that's fine.

With the A319 only 1.5 years away from arriving here at AA, I'm trying to erase a long running hesitation in someday flying this bird. For years I strongly disliked the Airbus cockpit philosophy and was rather glad that AA chose to stay true to Boeing.

I've had the opportunity to j/s on United and USAir Airbus cockpits and I must say..... I'm still hesitant.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is one of the most comfy cockpits I have ever sat in. The ergonomics are spectacular. Everything flows nicely.

But... I still question: Are the pilots REALLY in control? I had a lot of difficulty watching the engine instruments register changes without the throttles moving. I never quite knew what the engines were doing. Why are the throttles locked at Climb Thrust with the engines back at idle? This stuff really conflicts with my "Boeing-warped" mind.

I also had a tough time comparing aircraft pitch/roll commands without seeing a corresponding stick movement. Why, because the other stick doesn't move. How does the other pilot know what the flying pilot is doing?

Lastly: I understand that the stick commands a RATE, not simply a control surface movement. So if you bang in left stick and center it, the aircraft will continue rolling left until you bang in right stick. VERY disconcerting to me: I expect that, if you bang in left stick and center it, the aircraft would stop rolling, not increase it.

As I understand it, the 777, while still FBW, maintained the Boeing philosophy of keeping it a pilot's airplane.

As you can see, I have serious issues with this philosophy, not to mention the fact that this "pilot out of the loop" philosophy may have contributed to the lack of SA exhibited with Air France 447. I want to feel comfortable with the Airbus as this aircraft may very well be my first CA upgrade at AA. Please give me the pros and cons and help convince me that this aircraft will not "go computer psycho" without anything I can do about it.

Posted on APC as well.

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
Fly it see for yourself. There have been many threads on this subject. I never want a yoke in front of me again.

See my types to the left. The Airbus office is by far the most comfortable, quiet, ergonomic one you'll ever work in. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. We're not paid to be Chuck Yeager anymore. Sully did just fine achieving hero status in the bus.

You'll love it.

Can you disconnect everything (FDs, A/T, A/P) and fly it up to cruise? Can you disconnect the auto trim and fly it like a "real" airplane? As I said on APC, I;m a big hands-on flyer, like to disconnect everything to keep my skills sharp - I'm by no means a "lazy pilot" nor do I want to become one (keeps the flying aspect fun.) Not a fan of auto trim as it sounds right now - where do all the flying skills go?

Once you learn the systems for yourself and know facts instead of hearsay I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
The Sidestick and it's lack of feedback will take about 15 minutes to master and the same with the autothrust and don't forget you can disconnect the autothrust and have regular thrust levers just like any other a/c.
Once online you'll never want to be without the tray table again.
Boeing make a fine product also, I'd be happy with either and that's the point, there is nothing to fear about the Bus transition.

Thanks overseas, exactly what I want to hear: that it's a safe aircraft that won't "go psycho" on the pilots without anything they can do. Because that's what it sounds like to my "Airbus-uneducated" mind.

Yes you can disconnect everything and fly to altitude (dependant on your airline SOP). You will however still have autotrim (unless you're degraded to direct law). Again once you're use to it you'll just happily watch the autotrim do it's job.

But... I still question: Are the pilots REALLY in control? I had a lot of difficulty watching the engine instruments register changes without the throttles moving. I never quite knew what the engines were doing. Why are the throttles locked at Climb Thrust with the engines back at idle?

Think of it this way: in the climb detent, the "thrust levers" (might as well get used to the terminology) are marking maximum available thrust for the autothrust system. The autothrust system then can command any thrust setting from idle to climb (with all due consideration as to what the pilot wants it to do). With an engine out, you set the good engine to the next detent, MCT, so the autothrust can use it all.

You're being thrown by the fact that the Airbus doesn't feed back control cues to the side sticks and the thrust levers. But it gives you all the feedback you need right in front of you on the six big panels. Even in a Boeing, the control feedback is approximate at best. You still need to look to see what's really going on. You get over it in an hour, tops. You won't miss it as much as you think.

I also had a tough time comparing aircraft pitch/roll commands without seeing a corresponding stick movement. Why, because the other stick doesn't move. How does the other pilot know what the flying pilot is doing?
See above. And with the autopilot engaged, the side sticks are locked and neither of them move. You won't miss that either.

Lastly: I understand that the stick commands a RATE, not simply a control surface movement. So if you bang in left stick and center it, the aircraft will continue rolling left until you bang in right stick.
Nope. The side sticks command a roll rate, not a turn rate. So when you center the stick, it stops rolling and maintains whatever bank angle you're on. Well, up to 33 degrees of roll; beyond 33 degrees, it will roll back to 33 degrees once you center the stick. If you "bang in right stick", it will reverse the commanded roll rate and start rolling wings level, as you'd expect:

VERY disconcerting to me: I expect that, if you bang in left stick and center it, the aircraft would stop rolling, not increase it.
And so it does. Just like a real airplane. :)

Latest resources

Back