Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus trepidation... convince me otherwise!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only thing you should be afraid of is the new "negotiated" pay scales on the A319 at AA. Especially the new B-scale FOs (probably regional pay level). :eek::bawling: :angryfire:mad:

HOLD THE LINE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Airbus pilots I speak to love the airplane. I know a few pilots at Delta who claim they have no interest leaving the Airbus fleet (from A319 to the A330 later).

Coming from a right-wing blow hard. Classic.

Negative. Read the accident report; those motors were so destroyed that all he would have accomplished with a cable to the FCU would have been cooking the hot sections with little to no increase in thrust.

AA73, I've got a year on the jet after 8 years of flying various Embraers. I promise once you get used to it, you'll love it. Do you feel like a pilot as much without large moving parts and force feedback? No, honestly. IMHO however, it's still tons of fun to turn off AP/FD and the authothrust and point it where you want it to go. Did that today coming down the CAMRN arrival on a beautiful breezy day at JFK and had a blast driving it all the way to 31R like an old Baron. (For my fellow Blue peeps, I had one of the rare Captains whom encourages that sort of thing rather than cringing at it :)). Also, I do much better controlling the balloon when Flaps 2 comes out than Fifi does!

I noticed on the "other board" that you asked about trim with no rocker switch, and I don't think anyone got around to answering that. Pitch trim is with a nice wheel right next to the thrust levers. You'll have to be in a seriously degraded flight computer mode to use that anywhere other than the sim, or setting the stab before takeoff.

Hmmm.....

All -I- got from that post was, ... Wow. You know a guy named "Fifi"?

Bubba

aa73,

If you go to that plane they will have to pull you off it kicking and screaming... It's a nice ride. None of us are flying a J-3 anymore (well, except your MD80 guys I guess :D). It's all hydraulic and backsprings. You'll love the bus. It flies very nicely and I know you're young enough to program a VCR so the FMS won't be a problem for you. Go for it.

aa73,

If you go to that plane they will have to pull you off it kicking and screaming... It's a nice ride. None of us are flying a J-3 anymore (well, except your MD80 guys I guess :D). It's all hydraulic and backsprings. You'll love the bus. It flies very nicely and I know you're young enough to program a VCR so the FMS won't be a problem for you. Go for it.

Yeah, what he said.

Also, stowing the tray table before landing will make you feel like you are a passenger. Well you sorta are. :D

It's just another airplane, done the Boeing and Airbus thing...the sim is twitchy when doing exercises in direct law, the airplane itself flys like a Pitts in direct law..engine out is a lazy man's job, auto thrust and rudder channel available all the time, so pop in the automatics and leave it go..(who cares whether the thrust levers move or not)..the flight deck is comfortable, the ventilation controls remind me of my 1968 VW Bus, but the airflow is good, the airplane poops out at higher levels in the climb, seems to be wing related..prefer the 321 to the 319, much more stable and quieter... seems there is a landing distance calculation for every cockamamie failure that can occur, Airbus provides a lot of "gee-whiz" info in their FCOMS that is useless, but learn to filter the useful from the "nice to know" at a later date stuff..all the horror stories about "whats it doing now" are self inflicted, the automation modes are a bit different, but same basic principle..( open descent vs Flight level change...same thing, managed "NAV" vs LNAV..) it's an airplane, just fly it like one..I do miss my 767 though....

Last edited:
Manual control of the "motors" is just a click away....the thrust levers dont move by themselves, but work just fine if you choose to move them yourself...

Latest resources

Back