Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kaudbron said:
anyone know if AWAC takes or has interns? Thanks

I haven't heard of it happening but you never know. You might send a resume in looking for an internship. They might need help in the training department and they could make you their whipping boy. (just kidding, they're really nice in the training department)

Anyone thinking of coming to AWAC and is worried about going to ORF instead of PHL or vice versa shouldn't worry about it. There is so much movement right now you'll probably get what you want before training ends if not right away. Be prepared for anything but I think you'll get what you want of PHL, DCA, ORF.

Now, anyone else want to discuss the rumor of AWAC dropping 500M on "something" but no one knows what? We're hiring mechanics and flight attendants in PIT and MEM. AWAC has applied for "large carrier" status (I'm told that means more than 100 aircraft) for some time in 2006. Could this mean CRJ 900s are in the future with a PIT or MEM (or both) base?

Not claiming it's true. Just what I've been hearing.

DiverDriver said:
Now, anyone else want to discuss the rumor of AWAC dropping 500M on "something" but no one knows what? We're hiring mechanics and flight attendants in PIT and MEM. AWAC has applied for "large carrier" status (I'm told that means more than 100 aircraft) for some time in 2006. Could this mean CRJ 900s are in the future with a PIT or MEM (or both) base?

Not claiming it's true. Just what I've been hearing.

I actually heard about this back in April. (from a guy who knows a guy who dates this girl who know this guys who saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night) But I actually did hear about it a while back. Something with the POI and having to jump through some hoops to make the large carrier thing a reality.

Is AWAC still calling people for interview dates right now or is everything on hiatus until after the holidays? Just curious. Sent my stuff in about 3 weeks ago haven't heard anything as of yet. Is it better to fax or snail mail resumes vs going the email route? Thanks in advance

joepilot29 said:
Is AWAC still calling people for interview dates right now or is everything on hiatus until after the holidays? Just curious. Sent my stuff in about 3 weeks ago haven't heard anything as of yet. Is it better to fax or snail mail resumes vs going the email route? Thanks in advance

I'm sure they will be hiring plenty of pilots well into next year. 30 pilots quit in November, and i'm sure we're on pace for about as many in DEC. We aren't able to hire enough to keep up with attrition, let alone get properly staffed.

Send your stuff in again, and after the holidays.

Why are so many people quiting? Is it because of the new bases? Just curious.

Superpilot92 said:
Many reasons. But schedules have been one of the biggest issues. The crew planning office doesn't seem to want to actually implement the pilots' requests on schedules. But they continue to be "willing to work with the pilots". Yah, right. Proof is in the pudding. It really doesn't have to do with east coast bases (for most). It's the fact that we are gone 6 days to fly 4 which can cause you to spend maybe 24 hours at home per week.If you are east coast or can move to the bases it could be a very good move for you (anyone applying). I think things will get better next year as attrition slows and they actually start to staff properly but until then the jr manning will be out of hand. We are supposed to staff up to around 1,100 pilots (from what I've heard). Right now we are around 940 on the seniority list. The attrition continues and they are trying to bring in about 30 per month.

That is not what I want to hear about commuting. I plan on commuting from Birmingham, Al once I bid a line.

Superpilot92 said:

There are lots of reasons people are quitting. Some are quitting because of the domicle closures and re-alignments. Some are leaving because the 146 is being retired. Some are not making it through training. Some are moving on to bigger and better things. Some are getting out of aviation altogether.

The United-to-USAirways transition has been a tough time for us. But the Three Amigos have done a fantastic job of keeping the airplanes flying and people working. When it is all said and done I think AWAC is going to be a well positioned to take advantage of whatever lies ahead.

It's a good time to apply, especially if you live on the East Coast.

Kaudbron said:
anyone know if AWAC takes or has interns? Thanks

I don't beleive we do. And if your thinking of that as a short cut to a pilot seat, I'd think again. We've had a couple internal hires (scheds and FAs) moved to pilot slots. Some of them haven't made it through training.

Go get your time and do it the right way.

J32driver said:
I don't beleive we do. And if your thinking of that as a short cut to a pilot seat, I'd think again. We've had a couple internal hires (scheds and FAs) moved to pilot slots. Some of them haven't made it through training.

Go get your time and do it the right way.

yep appreciate that, been instructing, and my butt is fine planted in its skyhawk seat for awhile.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back