• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ailerons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rudder will do it under high AOA. In the T-38, it can actually roll the jet BETTER than the ailerons if you're deep into the red chevron.

Lead Sled said:
The MU-2 and Beechjet do not have spoilerons - Lear 35s and Boeing 727s have spoilerons. They use straight, old-fashioned, honest to goodness spoilers and nothing but spoilers for roll control. They use small trim ailerons for roll trim.

'Sled

Gee, all that time in a B-727 and I never knew I had "spoilerons". Please educate me some more. <bg>

~DC

Donsa320 said:
Gee, all that time in a B-727 and I never knew I had "spoilerons". Please educate me some more. <bg>
It's been 20 years since I was last in a 727, so I don't remember the exact flap setting when the spoilers started working in conjunction with the ailerons. Regardless, when you've got spoilers and ailerons working together - you've got spoilerons.

I knew you knew that. ;)

The Lear 35 also has a similiar system, it's been 10 years since I've flown one of those, but I believe that you get differential spoiler operation to augment ailerons with flap settings greater than 20 degrees.

'Sled

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
It's been 20 years since I was last in a 727, so I don't remember the exact flap setting when the spoilers started working in conjunction with the ailerons. Regardless, when you've got spoilers and ailerons working together - you've got spoilerons.

I knew you knew that. ;)

The Lear 35 also has a similiar system, it's been 10 years since I've flown one of those, but I believe that you get differential spoiler operation to augment ailerons with flap settings greater than 20 degrees.

'Sled

It must have been a long 20 years, good buddy, the spoilers always work with ailerons in a 727. As they also do on DC-9's and A320's, etc. I think you are confusing that with the progressive lock-out of the OUTBOARD Ailerons as you get less than flaps 15. However the INBOARD Ailerons continue to function at all flap settings, as do the roll spoilers. Differential spoiler for roll control augmentation is rather common and I'd never heard that referred to as "spoilerons". They are totally separate surfaces.

Donsa320 said:
It must have been a long 20 years, good buddy, the spoilers always work with ailerons in a 727. As they also do on DC-9's and A320's, etc. I think you are confusing that with the progressive lock-out of the OUTBOARD Ailerons as you get less than flaps 15. However the INBOARD Ailerons continue to function at all flap settings, as do the roll spoilers. Differential spoiler for roll control augmentation is rather common and I'd never heard that referred to as "spoilerons". They are totally separate surfaces.
You're right, it has been a long 20 years and a lot of water has passed under the bridge. As I remember, the spoilers started to augment the ailerons at 7 degrees control wheel movement. They told us that the combination of ailerons and spoilers were called spoilerons as they are in the Lear 35. Oh well, I stand corrected.

'Sled

But wait, there's more! The F-15 and F-18 (and likely the F-16, though I'm not positive) also use differential stabliator to help roll the aircraft. Their utility really comes in handy during high AOA maneuvering when the ailerons are essentially washed out due to airflow disruption. The Eagle has a wonderfully complex mechanical system that takes your altitude, airspeed, pressure, temp, albedo factor, white blood cell count, and phase of Mars into account and makes the determination of how much stab to program to make the roll happen. Works like a champ.

To digress a bit, the neatest thing is that that flight control system gives the same g-force (if available) for a given amount of longitudinal stick travel no matter what airspeed one is flying. In other words, you get 6 Gz when you pull the stick about 5 inches aft if you are flying at 325 knots or 600 knots.

Latest resources

Back