• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ailerons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The spoilers on the beech truck both extend at the same time when used as speed brakes, and still travel up and down with movement of the yoke when turning although its like driving a tractor in this configuration and just as loud

Don't forget elevons and I saw an old glider once where each wing (right and left) moved independant of the other for roll control.

Last edited:
The Wright flyer was not the only plane to use wing warping back in those days. I understand it was the common method of lateral control for most aircraft until the mid-1910's. A few very early WW1 aircraft used wing-warping, including the Fokker Eindecker (the aircraft responsible for the "Fokker Scourge", courtesy of the interrupter gear that allowed the gun to fire through the prop arc).

hindsight2020 said:
"differential stabilator" == elevons

The differential stabilator is actually called a taileron. They are the all moving tail surfaces on aircraft such as F-14s, F-15s, F-16s, F-18s, etc. that move together to provide pitch and differentially to provide roll control. http://homepages.enterprise.net/corkish/History/flight_control.htm

Elevons, as used in delta winged aircraft such as Mirages, are similar in that they provide both pitch and roll, but are not stabilators since they are part of the wing surface.

Lead Sled said:
... Boeing 727s have spoilerons.
I'm contemplating returning my 727 type rating, since I have never heard of such devices on the old Boeing.

Better yet, I decided to pull up the ole flight manual in Adobe and search for "spoileron". Care to guess how many times it shows up?

Finished searching for:

spoileron

Total instances found:

Lead Sled said:
... I don't remember the exact flap setting when the spoilers started working in conjunction with the ailerons. Regardless, when you've got spoilers and ailerons working together - you've got spoilerons.

I knew you knew that. ;)
Umm, I didn't know THAT either. Does that fall into the category of "alternate vocabulary"? As Donsa320 has already pointed out, your memory on the subject (flap setting?!?!) is a bit hazy. I think your memory of the vocabulary is also suspect. The 727 has ailerons and spoilers. Using them at the same time makes them spoilerons no more than using the lav and the autopilot at the same time makes it a ... ahh, never mind.

:)

TonyC said:
As Donsa320 has already pointed out, your memory on the subject (flap setting?!?!) is a bit hazy.

:)

Tony,

As one old guy standing behind fellow old guy, he said it was 20 years since he has flown the 727. Come back in 20 years and we'll give you an oral on the airplane and see how you do.

Be nice, Man. You usually are.

I flew the CV880 and the 737 30+ years ago, but today couldn't give you many accurate answers to questions about them. But I might try to be helpful in a discussion if questions came up.

bafanguy said:
As one old guy standing behind fellow old guy, he said it was 20 years since he has flown the 727. Come back in 20 years and we'll give you an oral on the airplane and see how you do.
Thanks bafanguy, but I'm only getting what I deserved - I was a little too "aggressive" in my position and I was wrong. Like I said, it's been since April of 1985 since I last had a front row seat in a 727 and a lot of water (and over 10,000 hours of jet time) has passed under that bridge. The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be.

'Sled

Roll control in the BUFF

av8raaron said:
B-52 uses spoilers only. The roll trim just resets the neutral point of the spoilers.

I may be dating myself but...
Only the short tail BUFF's lacked ailerons. The B-52 A through F had ailerons and spoilers for roll control. They also had one less set of spoilers on each wing and miles of bleed air plumbing to run everything from generators and hydraulics in the fuselage.

Latest resources

Back