• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Retirement passes House 390-0

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with the majority of pilots on this board, and the overwhelming majority of ALPA pilots. ALPA has blatantly ignored its membership and let us down. The extension of retirement age will do irreparable damage to our labor force long term. Contract leverage will be instantly reduced, existing pensions will be further damaged, career advancement for F/O's and seniority advancement for everyone will be degraded. These are the immediate and tangible issues, which don't begin to address the body fatigue and health issues of an admittedly experienced, but undoubtedly tired portion of the pilot group. Our group as a whole is already pushed to extremes by our current FAA duty limits and the continued efforts of crew scheduling to be more efficient. Current pilot mortality rates exceed that of the population, they aren't going to improve by flying after age 60.

Understanding that there are pilots who are benefited by the change, they are severely outnumbered by those who are adversely affected.

How old were those pilots for that Continental Regional who failed to hold short of runways 22L/R the other day at EWR??? Sad truth is any pilot young or old can be fatigued or mentally lacking. But there are more stories of experienced pilots who've saved the day too... AGE 65 finally brings us into the 20th Century and ICAO standards. Now lets all get over it and move on. All those who have to wait 5 years to upgrade, well, y'all get to work until 65 now so what's the difference? I like the linear graphics on retirement age and longevity of life. My guess is those who retired early were well-off and therefore able to lead a more stressfree life; maybe you should've gotten an income breakdown of those who retired early-- I'll bet you the other linear scale is rich retire early live long have decent health care, poor retire late have crappy health care die early...

How old were those pilots for that Continental Regional who failed to hold short of runways 22L/R the other day at EWR???

Almost the same age as the idiots that stuffed probes up their asses and on their wrists and flew across the country and back almost killing 150.. no make that 145 people. Who cares about them.

All those who have to wait 5 years to upgrade, well, y'all get to work until 65 now so what's the difference?

Really? Freaking sweet! I was planning on being on a sailboat doing some rum-soaked cruising through the tropics right about then but you're totally right, another five years of work to make up for all that career stagnation sounds WAY funner! Thanks for reminding us to always look on the bright side of life!

How old were those pilots for that Continental Regional who failed to hold short of runways 22L/R the other day at EWR??? Sad truth is any pilot young or old can be fatigued or mentally lacking. But there are more stories of experienced pilots who've saved the day too... AGE 65 finally brings us into the 20th Century and ICAO standards. Now lets all get over it and move on. All those who have to wait 5 years to upgrade, well, y'all get to work until 65 now so what's the difference? I like the linear graphics on retirement age and longevity of life. My guess is those who retired early were well-off and therefore able to lead a more stressfree life; maybe you should've gotten an income breakdown of those who retired early-- I'll bet you the other linear scale is rich retire early live long have decent health care, poor retire late have crappy health care die early...

EXACTLY!!!! We will Finally follow ICAO like the rest of the world considering that we are part of ICAO, it is funny how often we don't follow the rest of the world when changes happen.

I also agree that people are living longer, and accidents happen at any age, pilots screw up young and old, so age is not a factor like many profess

I have flown for a Part 121 airline and now fly for a Part 135 Airline, the 2 rules are very much the same and in some places, P135 is more restrictive, but in P135, there is no age limit, never has been, so you guys that say that it is unsafe for a pilot to fly past 60 for a commercial airline, There are plenty of over 60 pilots flying for P135 operators all over, if it is safe to fly large jets for a P135 company to destinations all over the world, then it is safe to fly the same at an airline

Heck, you can't get government benefits till 65, so this makes sense in that respect too

Last edited:
AGE 65 finally brings us into the 20th Century and ICAO standards. ...

Sweet Jeezus, ICAO includes places like France, third world countries, etc. etc.

Since when do we want to emulate those idiots?

We should aspire to something much higher than the international standard. We just got sold out, there are no two ways about it. Feel free to go work in an ICAO country if that's all you want. Good luck with that.

Sweet Jeezus, ICAO includes places like France, third world countries, etc. etc.

Since when do we want to emulate those idiots?

We should aspire to something much higher than the international standard. We just got sold out, there are no two ways about it. Feel free to go work in an ICAO country if that's all you want. Good luck with that.

You must be the idiot, do your homework, we are an ICAO nation, in fact we have 2 members on the voting council, it makes perfect sense to follow ICAO policies since we vote them in

You must be the idiot, do your homework, we are an ICAO nation, in fact we have 2 members on the voting council, it makes perfect sense to follow ICAO policies since we vote them in

I'm advocating that we should strive for something higher than the international standard. It hasn't bothered the US to have it's own, non-ICAO conforming idiosincracies in other areas, but now, all of a sudden, we should conform?

And I'm the idiot?

Congratulations on being able to fly during your retirement, old timer. Hope it's everything you dreamed it would be.

Latest resources

Back