Age 65 on fast track

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rest of us will pay

Needs to be stated again...and again...and again.

"The rest of us will pay" for the loss of pensions, the management ineptitude, the acceptance of concessionary contracts, personal financial mismanagement. We will pay with our seniority and career progression, with our checkbook, with our pilot unity, and possibly (but hopefully not) with passenger lives. But hey, at least those folks 50+ years old that benefited their whole careers from the career progression Age 60 retirement provided will get an extra 5 years! After all, don't they deserve it? :rolleyes:

Well at 65 you would at least have the same working rights a your neighbor next door.Just don't look for me on the line I'll be skiing even though the guy I mentioned in my previous post made me think about "The Job".I realize still enjoy coming to work it too.I'v always though anyone that works a pilot just for the money has a screw loose.

As boiler said the guy you mentioned advanced his career and benefitted from the age 60 rule. So now he wants the best of both worlds. If he wants to fly so bad let him go to a fractional and enjoy all the flying he wants. Heck he can even stay past 65 there. I flew with to many retired 60+ airline pilots at a fractional. Like I said before all but 1 should have been flying still. He was sharp as a tack. The other 15-20 should not be in a high performence airplane.

Thank you for the info Andy.

You are a gentleman for remaining so patient with folks unhappy with the messenger here.

I know I can't sway you guys with bad assumptions, but I can't resist trying...

1) A union negotiated document, say a seniority list or other seniority based rights, is not the same as an FAA recognized definition of a pilot. The FARs (old term I know) define what is and what is not a pilot. Not any company, union, or "informal letter". No matter how important the politician that signs it. I don't think Congress is going to use any definition other than that endorsed by the FAA.

2) If you have trouble reading a legal document and how it denies promotion or reinstatement to a PILOT position following demotion, I can't help you. I highly recommend someone you trust to read and interpret it for you.

I think it is pretty obvious that any person on the PILOT seniority list the day this goes into effect will have an easy argument to bid back to the left seat. How are you going to explain to an employment law judge that your PILOT seniority list includes non-pilots?

You think a judge is more interested in what yout senority list title is then what the FARs say? You are dreaming...

I'm in my right mind and I would like to be able to work past age 60 if I want to. I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually look forward to going to work, every day in the air brings something new and interesting, the very worst day in the cockpit beats the very best day behind a desk. Personally, I hope the change to age 60 stays on a fast track and I would like to see the change be made retroactive to last Nov 23, I've already seen too many of my close friends unnessarily forced out since then.

Airfogey

Then go work at one of the fractionals. They hire guys over the age 60 mark all the time. Flying makes one age faster. If the emissions from the screens or the sun doesn't get you then the constant circadian cycle disruptions will. Personally, I want to hit 60 and enjoy the remaining years without flying. While I am still young and good looking ;)

Thank you for the info Andy.

You are a gentleman for remaining so patient with folks unhappy with the messenger here./quote]

BoeingJets, thanks for the nice words. But I'm definitely not a gentleman; I am trying to be less confrontational than I have in the past, but it's a struggle. :)

Latest resources

Back