• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 on fast track

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess only time will tell. I recall you stating that age 65 was dead because the Democrats control the Congress now. Funny.:laugh:

Time has nothing to do with it. It's very clear that a flight engineer is NOT a pilot. That won't change with time. It's very clear that those over 60 will not be able to return to their previous job. That may change when the bill goes to the floor for debate, but it is unlikely since those that favor the change have been clear that this will not be retroactive. Even in paragraph five of that letter from a few Senators makes it clear that reinstatement is not an included right in the legislation.

I called 65 dead for two years when the Dems won control of both houses. I had no idea of the chicanery that would take place at ALPA national. Definitely not foreseen by me and I was wrong about age 65 being temporarily on hold - my forecast was incorrect.
Age 65's definitely not dead, but it's also not a slam dunk. It will be difficult to get the FAA Authorization Bill passed. It won't pass in it's current form. There are quite a few hurdles that could kill the bill. It's not a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination. And neither is a change through the NPRM process.

Foreign carriers doing it in US airspace. Hard not to justify. Doesn't the FAA Authorization have to be in place by 10/1/07? It is coming. Anyway when all the young folks reach age 60, they might be glad this happened. User fees. The airlines are pushing this big time. They just might accept age 65 to get the fees. They would love to put General Aviation out of business.
If that does happen, where do the age 60 guys go if the age does not change.

Glad? Glad? Are you stoned? Who the hell in their right mind wants to work past 60? Obvoiusly you missed the post here that showed the correlation between dying earlier the more you worked past 55.

Beetle007, since you will continue as a crew member past age 60 as a flight attendant will that make you eligible to take your left seat back if a change happens?

Have fun with the old hags in the back Beetle007. You should know them all well after working the last 30 years with them.

Look at the top of your seniority list and read the title. If it says "Pilot System Seniority List" (or anything similar) then anyone included on that list is considered a pilot (regardless of their position in the company). How hard is this for you to understand. Im guessing that some companies have flight engineers (and other positions) on their PILOT seniority list.

I think it is pretty obvious that any person on the PILOT seniority list the day this goes into effect will have an easy argument to bid back to the left seat. How are you going to explain to an employment law judge that your PILOT seniority list includes non-pilots?

Look at the top of your seniority list and read the title. If it says "Pilot System Seniority List" (or anything similar) then anyone included on that list is considered a pilot (regardless of their position in the company). How hard is this for you to understand. Im guessing that some companies have flight engineers (and other positions) on their PILOT seniority list.

I think it is pretty obvious that any person on the PILOT seniority list the day this goes into effect will have an easy argument to bid back to the left seat. How are you going to explain to an employment law judge that your PILOT seniority list includes non-pilots?

At United, we have a pilot seniority list and a system seniority list (perhaps called flight officer seniority list; I'm not positive).
This is another fly in the ointment that will delay implementation of any change, so I'm all in favor of us opening that can of worms. And those over 60, please keep those waiver requests and lawsuits going. All that stuff is just throwing sand in the gears of change.

Glad? Glad? Are you stoned? Who the hell in their right mind wants to work past 60? Obvoiusly you missed the post here that showed the correlation between dying earlier the more you worked past 55.
I'm in my right mind and I would like to be able to work past age 60 if I want to. I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually look forward to going to work, every day in the air brings something new and interesting, the very worst day in the cockpit beats the very best day behind a desk. Personally, I hope the change to age 60 stays on a fast track and I would like to see the change be made retroactive to last Nov 23, I've already seen too many of my close friends unnessarily forced out since then.

Airfogey

I'm in my right mind and I would like to be able to work past age 60 if I want to. I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually look forward to going to work, every day in the air brings something new and interesting, the very worst day in the cockpit beats the very best day behind a desk. Personally, I hope the change to age 60 stays on a fast track and I would like to see the change be made retroactive to last Nov 23, I've already seen too many of my close friends unnessarily forced out since then.

Airfogey

What about your thousands of friends unnecessarily forced into furlough? Do you care that they get a chance to come back?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually look forward to going to work, every day in the air brings something new and interesting, the very worst day in the cockpit beats the very best day behind a desk.

And the very worst day in my own home, in my own backyard, with my own family and nothing to do beats the very best day in the air. The only thing better than a day flying is a day off. It's hard for me to fully digest the Age 65 change as 60 is so far away for me, but I do know for a fact that I'd retire tomorrow if I could. And I'm only 33....

And the very worst day in my own home, in my own backyard, with my own family and nothing to do beats the very best day in the air. The only thing better than a day flying is a day off. It's hard for me to fully digest the Age 65 change as 60 is so far away for me, but I do know for a fact that I'd retire tomorrow if I could. And I'm only 33....

The only thing better than flying is....not flying.

The ones that need to work past 60 are the 3 time divorcee or the loser with no life. I didnt want to work until 60 heck maybe 58. I love flying but I love a lot of other things to. At 60 I will have spent 46 years of my life in planes thats enough. I want to do other things before I need a walker to get down a Jetway. I feel sorry for those that need to work until 65 not having a life outside of aviation is pathetic. Not to mention the greedy ones that want to have there cake and eat it to, but I guess those are the ones without a life.
Those that just want to keep flying get out into the 91 or 91k world. Oh wait that would mean less money you cant fly for that.

Now as a resault of this I may have to work past 60. Thanks to all the old greedy son of a guns. Have fun eating that cake. I hope it goes down well.

Last edited:
Vixin, I flew with a guy last week that told me he wants to fly past 60 cause he likes the job now for the same reason he like it at 25 when he was hired.This gent has plenty going for him on the side with sport and business. So he has a point in wanting to stay and being only 55 I think the rules will be changing for him.

Latest resources

Back