Age 65 on fast track

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FJ,

Any interest in a recall...if only to slap the mule and get its attention? Even if you keep the same mule its nice to know it listens.

Lots of PMs being sent back on forth on the subject. Wondering your take....here or in private.

Cheers.

Short answer: Yes I would support a recall effort. I'm not sure its warranted just yet, because if ALPA is able to prevent the FAA Authorization Bill from going forward with the age change legislation included and assure that the change would come from the NPRM process, then the leaders would have been right and probably saved us from a hastily conceived, short-sighted effort that will cause more problems for all of us.

I don't think that will be the case, but it could still play out that way. There is still the issue of DW's insistence on flaunting his authority and opinions, and that is why although I would wait, I would still support a recall at this time, if for no other reason then to express our concern over the direction he is heading.

FJ

Last edited:
We'll see what happens after the ALPA meetings this week.

Ya Andy, please keep us aware if you hear any other nonsense. Thanks
You are fighting the good fight, unlike the greedy farts. Also, did you guys know the guy that started the AAPD, or whatever it's called is some piece of ******************** Southwest captain that lost NOTHING in the entire 9/11 fiasco, or furlough mess. What an arrogant ass.

I really hope it doesn't ever help someone like that. Pure UN-AMERICAN ASS

Don't forget in 1959 a bunch of FO's got a nice windfall too. What goes around comes around.

Well, seeing as my parent's were still teenagers in 1959, I have no clue as to what you're talking about. Neither does anyone else, I'd bet. I have no clue what happened in 1959, I don't care who those FOs were or how many there were, or who they worked for. They're probably all dead by now, anyway. How does it apply to 2007 and what's going on right now? It doesn't.

Don't forget in 1959 a bunch of FO's got a nice windfall too. What goes around comes around.

You might want to do a bit of research before making such a statement. Go to the Federal Register dated 27 June, 1959. There's an item on the NPRM. It states that there were zero pilots over the age of 60 in 1947; the number of over 60 pilots was estimated to be at least 80 and in 1967, it was estimated to be 250.
250 is less than the number of age 60 pilots retiring this year at United. All of them were hired when the age 60 rule was in effect.

For those who want to weigh in at purple, a junior guy is taking names and employee numbers to petition a recall of our MEC chairman at :

[email protected].

Names won't be published unless he gets the 1200 or so required to start the process.

Latest resources

Back