• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So if there has been 147 people furloughed at CAL and there are over 300 pilots over the age of 60 ,...well you do the math! Your next point is?

See post above. To mant people let their emotions do their thinking. Why were 147 furloughed airline grew??

I won't have to remember I wrote this because this has been my position since day one. I didn't like it when I began in this business and I still don't.

Psst: Betcha didn't answer the questions because you can't answer them consistently and still support mandatory retirement ages.

Does seniority matter or not? Yes or no? You can't have it both ways.

Seniority Principle is what is important and it is bigger than the individual. Retirement date is as important as DOH and neither should be adjusted. Expecially in a time of worker redundancy.

You can check my posts on the age 60 poll thread. I said then and still believe that if ridding the profession of possible age discrimination becomes more important than seniority principle, fine! Get rid of seniority then! No age limit and everybody starts command evaluation at 5-10 years. Some make it and some don't. I don't think that's a good idea frankly, but it get's rid of age discrimination, right? Because 65 did not, pal. It worked for a small few. And on top of that you wrote out, specifically wrote out others seniority (pilots over 60 at the time) in the in the experienced pilot act.

...and yet you fail to recall that junior pilots successfully lobbied in a pre-9/11 environment to delay changing the rule for over 20 years. Had this rule passed, as it almost did, back in '91(?), and on a couple of other occasions, this thread and this discussion would not exist today...:erm:

What would exist today is meaningful dialog about how the ATSB was used improperly, how the RLA should be changed, making sure the Akaka Bill passed (where are we on that?), getting our agenda furthered on flight and duty time, etc, etc. No. We can't have that discussion because 65 happened and the senior/older contingent in this profession have the increase they need and are happy to scuttle the rest.

See post above. To mant people let their emotions do their thinking. Why were 147 furloughed airline grew??
Base on age 60 retirements the airline was hiring to replace those pilots. When the rules of the game changed and the retirement age went to age 65 there was no longer a need to have the new hire pilots. Therefore, 147 of us got furloughed. As for why 147, your guess is as good as mine.

First of all a$$wipe I am only 48. Second if an airline does not lose jobs, IE get smaller then you tell me where the furloughs would be.

Bc it takes 2-3 months to train everyone- at best. Airlines hire well in advance for the movement created by retirements.

Uh-huh,and your point is....? Let's take a poll and see how many will fall on their sword at age 60 "for the good of the profession" mmmkay ? The reg says you must retire at 65,nothing says you can't at 60.And if I do stay another 20 years-too bad,so sad.My seat,I earned it,you didn't.Copy dat ?
Copy dat? Anyway, yes, in 17 years I would be glad to retire at Age 60 (and take your $1000). BUT, only if everyone else retires at Age 60 also. If that were the case, I would not be furloughed. I would be building my 401K and gaining seniority hopefully making it to the left seat someday. Just like you. However, none of that will happen now...Age 65 was a massive game changer. As stated before, the over 60 guys progressed and gained seniority, from Age 60 retirements, during their careers and suddenly gained another 5 years at our expense. IT WAS A GIFT.

Your hypothetical question is not based on the reality of the situation. Why should I retire at age 60? The game has completely changed. You wanted this change, I did not. Now, I play under your rules. What would really be ironic would be if I were to push for Age 70.

Would anyone mind trying to find the ATW Randy Babbitt interview article from Jan 2010? Someone with better search abilities than me? I have the magazine, and the interview is a bit of a shocker with regard to flight/duty time. He seems to think it can be changed without hiring pilots. I typed in the paragraph earlier, but no one has commented. If he get's it done this way we will all be working 22 days a month?! This sort of goes to the point of the thread...

All pilot groups should have an LOA in which those over 60 are furloughed first before any junior pilots. It is only fair, you know, career expectations and all. 30-40 years and they knew they would retire at 60.

This is a great idea!!!!!

Copy dat? Anyway, yes, in 17 years I would be glad to retire at Age 60 (and take your $1000). BUT, only if everyone else retires at Age 60 also. If that were the case, I would not be furloughed. I would be building my 401K and gaining seniority hopefully making it to the left seat someday. Just like you. However, none of that will happen now...Age 65 was a massive game changer. As stated before, the over 60 guys progressed and gained seniority, from Age 60 retirements, during their careers and suddenly gained another 5 years at our expense. IT WAS A GIFT.

Your hypothetical question is not based on the reality of the situation. Why should I retire at age 60? The game has completely changed. You wanted this change, I did not. Now, I play under your rules. What would really be ironic would be if I were to push for Age 70.

You just proved my point.Age 65 = bad if I do it,ok if you do it.

You said:

"As stated before, the over 60 guys progressed and gained seniority, from Age 60 retirements, during their careers and suddenly gained another 5 years at our expense."

Didn't YOU also gain another 5 years at top of scale ? Isn't it a wash-you didn't upgrade as fast,but you did stay a captain longer ?

Latest resources

Back