• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I look forward to the mass retirements when the age 65 "get-out-of-my-seat" whiners selflessly retire at 60,to benefit those below them.After all,THEY wouldn't work until age 65,would they ? I'll bet $1,000 not one of them bolt at 60.You wouldn't do THAT,would you ? Just think of those below you,guys on the street,etc.,blah,blah,blah.....These whiners will lap it up post-60 with some lame "It is what it is,I didn't make the rules" rationalization,while failing to see the irony
You obviously still have your job

You obviously still have your job

Uh-huh,and your point is....? Let's take a poll and see how many will fall on their sword at age 60 "for the good of the profession" mmmkay ? The reg says you must retire at 65,nothing says you can't at 60.And if I do stay another 20 years-too bad,so sad.My seat,I earned it,you didn't.Copy dat ?

The FAA wasn't moving very quickly towards implentation of the age 60 rule until ICAO changed their rules, correct? We seem to be moving towards the ICAO rules more and more, so even if we hadn't changed the age 60 rule when we did, it was inevitable. I also think the FAA was considering the possibility of lawsuits if they didn't change the rule. By the way, I am a 55 year old F/O who lost his pension and was furloughed after 14 years at my former airline. I have started over twice since then. The only "luxuries" I have are a happy, mostly healthy family. I have invested my money as wisely as I thought I could, but suffered as many others did when the economy went south. I am not poor, but I am not rich, nor will I ever be. I'll be working til I die, that's a fact, and I'm OK with that, because I love what I do. Age 65 will help me, even if I never reach the left seat again. In spite of everything that has happened, compared to a lot of other guys, I'm pretty lucky. I'm adapting to uncontrollable forces and moving on. Hope this puts another perspective out there.

The FAA wasn't moving very quickly towards implentation of the age 60 rule until ICAO changed their rules, correct? We seem to be moving towards the ICAO rules more and more, so even if we hadn't changed the age 60 rule when we did, it was inevitable. I also think the FAA was considering the possibility of lawsuits if they didn't change the rule. By the way, I am a 55 year old F/O who lost his pension and was furloughed after 14 years at my former airline. I have started over twice since then. The only "luxuries" I have are a happy, mostly healthy family. I have invested my money as wisely as I thought I could, but suffered as many others did when the economy went south. I am not poor, but I am not rich, nor will I ever be. I'll be working til I die, that's a fact, and I'm OK with that, because I love what I do. Age 65 will help me, even if I never reach the left seat again. In spite of everything that has happened, compared to a lot of other guys, I'm pretty lucky. I'm adapting to uncontrollable forces and moving on. Hope this puts another perspective out there.

Good luck to you.

A guy that tries to react and overcome a problem is probably a lot
better pilot than some guy that whines about it.

Furloughs are always a result of an airline getting smaller. Age 65 may have calles stagnation but it did not cause the airline to shrink.
So if there has been 147 people furloughed at CAL and there are over 300 pilots over the age of 60 ,...well you do the math! Your next point is?

It sounds like you are a fortunate man who knows how to count his blessngs. You'll live a long, healthy and happy life.

May God bless you and your family.

Furloughs are always a result of an airline getting smaller. Age 65 may have calles stagnation but it did not cause the airline to shrink.

This is complete bullsh/t
Not one ounce of truth in it. But whatever justifies it in your head, right?
At this point, it is what it is- but for god's sake, be men, recognize the f^cking impact and own it.
I never thought an aviation career would introduce me to so many pus$ies

This is complete bullsh/t
Not one ounce of truth in it. But whatever justifies it in your head, right?
At this point, it is what it is- but for god's sake, be men, recognize the f^cking impact and own it.
I never thought an aviation career would introduce me to so many pus$ies

First of all a$$wipe I am only 48. Second if an airline does not lose jobs, IE get smaller then you tell me where the furloughs would be.

Latest resources

Back