Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xrated

Jeezz, What have I Done?
After reading about AA and its impending furloughs, (due to at least some extent, if not totally, age 65) I was wondering if you guys/gals had the numbers handy for your airline. I'm talking about total on furlough and total number, as of mid January 2010, of pilots over age 60.

Maybe these numbers have been posted in the past, but I'm curious how much this age 65 thing really has on current furlough numbers?

At CAL is extremely close,

At one point the company had 147 on furlough and had announced an additional 146 with just over 300 gummers on property. The math is fairly easy. The second 146 was never furloughed but COLA's and other LTRF programs were used to mitigate those numbers.

There is no question beyond even the remotest shadow of a doubt that age 65 has caused furloughs and significant lost wealth by the bottom 3rd of just about every list. To deny it is simply to foolishly ignore the facts....

There's no doubt that the 65ers screwed up countless lives. Their greed and the impotence/apathy of the unions has been most damaging. And to think terrorists and management was all we had to once worry about.

65er's

600 is my number. I would rather flame management. They have Bonused themselves on us for 10 years. There on the hook for this furlough. Easy to throw blame at 65ers. No way,did they have to furlough 200 pilots. When was the last time Arpey took a pay cut?

600 is my number. I would rather flame management. They have Bonused themselves on us for 10 years. There on the hook for this furlough. Easy to throw blame at 65ers. No way,did they have to furlough 200 pilots. When was the last time Arpey took a pay cut?

All you say is true and I would much prefer to lay the blame squarely in the lap of the greedy robber barons.

However, had the 65ers moved as had their predecessors before them, there would be no furloughs. Period.

All pilot groups should have an LOA in which those over 60 are furloughed first before any junior pilots. It is only fair, you know, career expectations and all. 30-40 years and they knew they would retire at 60.

While it was championed by ALPO and SWAPA the age 65 legislation moved through congress at lightning speed due to one reason. The PBGC would be (and I believe it currently is) insolvent. This is typical govmit maneuvers. Why deal with it now when we can blow it off on another administration/congress 5 years down the road. Never mind what the potential consequence might be. Now here we sit with a 10%+ unemployment rate... Trippin' over dollars to pick up dimes guys!

I blame the U.S. Goverment for not implementing the age 65 change in a more responsible way. I made my career decisions with one set of rules and 3 days after I started class at CAL the rules changed! I would not be furloughed if the retirement age was still 60 or if the rule would have been implemented in a fair way. I don't blame the "gummers" , but i wish they would start retiring before there is a CAL/UAL merger. If that was to happen before we get back on property, there would be 147 ruined careers as a result of the age 65 rule.

Latest resources

Back