Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't like 65 any more than the next pilot

but you can't blame furloughs on pilots, no matter what their position on the list. Furloughs are furloughs... 65 certainly has an impact of where the furlough starts on the list, but it didn't cause furloughs. Its simple math, but for 65 there would be more guys below me to absorb the negative impacts of the furlough... and I being a good pilot with deep ALPA roots:D, would love to have more guys lower than me on the ladder. :blush:

but you can't blame furloughs on pilots, no matter what their position on the list. Furloughs are furloughs... 65 certainly has an impact of where the furlough starts on the list, but it didn't cause furloughs. Its simple math, but for 65 there would be more guys below me to absorb the negative impacts of the furlough... and I being a good pilot with deep ALPA roots:D, would love to have more guys lower than me on the ladder. :blush:
Do the simple math. Furloughs, in most cases, since Dec 2007 is a direct result of age 65!

Simple math, an article(2007) Kit Darby wrote that UAL would be retiring 430 pilots a yr for the foreseeable future. Parked 100 a/c's. Then 4 yrs of retirements, 430 X 2007,2008,2009,2010=1720 pilots. 1431 have been furloughed, that is a shortage of 289. These numbers indicate UAL would still be hiring. I can see a correlation between 65 and furloughs!

Last edited:
If you are over 60, you should be getting the furlough notice first. Go on a fishing trip with that wide body pay, and buy some souvenirs for the grand kids.

Simple math, an article(2007) Kit Darby wrote that UAL would be retiring 430 pilots a yr for the foreseeable future. Parked 100 a/c's. Then 4 yrs of retirements, 430 X 2007,2008,2009,2010=1720 pilots. 1431 have been furloughed, that is a shortage of 289. These numbers indicate UAL would still be hiring. I can see a correlation between 65 and furloughs!
That is why I said IN MOST CASES! Look at the other majors who have furloughed. You will find age 65 is the reason. United, mabye not so simple. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone read the article in January's Air Transport World that interviews Captain Babbitt? I have the magazine, the article is not online. Can anyone with better search abilities find it? It is very disturbing. Babbitt speaks to flight and duty time and how the costs to airlines are too high blah, blah, blah. Then he sums up the sentiment with a statement that sounds like he thinks flight and duty time should be changed in a way that ASSURES no need for more pilots!! My point is: 65 is less safe than 60, should not have happened and created a surplus of pilots. Duty time changes would be more safe, should happen, and will generate recalls but since it's not something that will put dollars directly into old pilots' pockets it's not getting pushed.

65 is just one part of what the old timers have in store for us. The greed knows no bounds.Babbitt and Prater need a reminder of what measures the union and the profession took to help both of them when they were in career turmoil. Both of them owe us all better than what they're pulling. The "experienced pilot" legislation needs to be revisited stat and the retirment age made 62 or 62.5 now until pilot unemployment is under control.

Last edited:
Thank goodness it's only the effects of age 65 that we're having to deal with. Can you imagine if this had combined with a recession or something???

I don't recall pilots organizing and lobbying for a recession.

Latest resources

Back