Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FutureTEDpilot said:
Tell ya what,

Lets change it to 65....BUT ONLY FOR NEWHIRES THAT START after say a DOH of 1/01/2006. The rest of us knew going in that we were out at 60 same for all the guys at the top that now want to hang around for awhile.

I also believe at UAL we need an up or out, way too many 25+ year widebody F/O's who cannot upgrade!

Happy to hang it up at 60, but I a afraid we will lose this one (hope I am wrong)

P.S. this is written by a 34 year old.

I don't have a dog in this fight but to be fair it seem that pilots younger than 40 and older than 50 should not have a say. Just joking, but this subject seems bring the worst out in all of us. I would imagine that a pilot with 10 years to go at just about any of the majors today, except AA might look at this a little differently than any pilot with possibly 20+ years to go. Since the whole age 60 package was based on flawed health and labor oriented issues, one has to wonder why this problem was not solved ealier than this. Looks like the Europeans (minus the French of course) are getting a handle on it slowly but surely.

Raise it to 65

Nothing about the age 65 rule says a person HAS to keep flying until 65, it just allows those who wish to keep working the option.

Those who are against the rule can go ahead and retire when they turn 60

It won't pass. If they changed it, they would have to change the mandatory retirement age for policemen and firemen too, and I don't want a 65 year old fireman to carry me out of my burning house over his shoulder. (My computer exploded from being on all of the time---on flightinfo.com)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Two sides for sure.I may want to work past 60 for somebody else.A nice 3 or 4 month contract every year would be fun.I flew with a 70 yr old ROPE the other day and he is sharper than most.

Dizel8 said:
No repeal of age 60!

Wrong General Lee. Given enough time this will change. Proably just in time for you to take advantage of it. That rich wife of yours will probably run off with the pool man by the time your 50.

I wonder what the vote would today at Delta since most if not all of your retirement is gone? Might be a little different than it was four months ago?
The fact is, and still remains that this was not an economic issue when it was first established. It was a health issue that has been proven wrong from the git go, and still wrong today. Those who are dying to see the older guys move out are being short sighted as they will also benefit in the long run.

Fine, change 60 to 65, but only for the group aged 21-35, since we take better care of ourselves and have a better medical history the FEDS can track.

Oh--but the 55-60 crowd would bitch and moan about that!

I had to interview retired Delta pilots at a Supplemental carrier, we would have furloughed bubbba's in the same room looking for work, my question to the retired DAL boys were...

WHY ARE YOU NOT OUT GOLFING OR SAILING? The job only paid 35K to start and I prefered to give the furloughed guys a shot, since they were still trying to feed their kids etc... THESE GUYS HAVE NO LIFE!!!!

I have also had a few 59 year old Captains that I flew with that were having problems landing at night, I think age 60 is where it needs to stay.

WE HAVE LIKE 8000+ Pilots on layoff? THINK ABOUT THAT FIRST THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT 65!

Spooky 1 said:
Those who are dying to see the older guys move out are being short sighted as they will also benefit in the long run.

You are right, they certainly should love some more years of furlough!

The attitude is: I got mine, wait for yours!

Spooky 1 said:
Wrong General Lee. Given enough time this will change. Proably just in time for you to take advantage of it. That rich wife of yours will probably run off with the pool man by the time your 50.

I wonder what the vote would today at Delta since most if not all of your retirement is gone? Might be a little different than it was four months ago?
The fact is, and still remains that this was not an economic issue when it was first established. It was a health issue that has been proven wrong from the git go, and still wrong today. Those who are dying to see the older guys move out are being short sighted as they will also benefit in the long run.

You're wrong. The Supreme Court agrees with me. Ask the Southwest guys who went before them and LOST. This congressman has a bunch of senior buddies that want to stay around, and I think they will lose again.

And, this is still a health issue. I don't think many senior pilots out there are incredibly healthy, and at age 60 they are dangerous. Sad but true.

And, my wife can't have the pool boy, HE'S MINE, all MINE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is hilarious. Sorta like standing back and squirting more charcoal lighter fluid on the fire. Yes General it will change, and yes Ted I want'a sue you for asking stupid questions in the interview process. Your both fuke'd and you don't even know it yet. Just like the DAL pilots, wishing and praying this is just a bad dream. General, you need to get a job sellings BMW's down in Buckhead. Ted, you need to get a life a job worth your incredible imagination about your self worth.

When both of you grow up to be adults, you will se the big picture. The good newws is neither of you are in it.

No flaming here!

Latest resources

Back