Age 60 Back Again!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lostplnetairman said:
The NJ Law Against Discrimination protects all workers over the age of 18.

So a Senator from NJ could sue because there is an age requirement for his job?

Oooops, these two posts got turned around. You get the point.

Regardless of how old or how young you are, the age 60 law is not appropriate and should be repealed.

HR Diva,

I apologize if you took my post personally. I wasn't trying to be rude, only direct. I really would like to know how some age requirements are legal, and others are questionable. You stated that NJ protected age discrimination for adults over 18. If this is true, why would NJ have an age requirement for public office? Once again I'm not trying to offend you, I'm only trying to ask an attorney why we can be selective on certain age requirements?

I'm not a lawyer, but here's my guess:

Those ages for the Pres and congress are in the Constitution, which is the basis for all of our laws. Hence the term 'unconstitutional.' I think that's what makes them OK.

Furthermore, age is typically legislated with rational scrutiny in terms of equal protection, the most liberal of all scrutinies. Therefore, the reasoning for imposing an age limit for an issue is not as difficult to defend as say a race restriction(strict scrutiny) or gender restriction(intermediate scrutiny).

What I think this all means is that it would be tough for the courts to strike down the age restriction, since they would apply rational scrutiny...but it wouldn't be too difficult, from a legal perspective, for legislators to change it to some other number because they don't have to have a lot of evidence to change the age. It could be a political problem for them...some 62y/o has a heart attack while flying and everyone then want to know why congress upped the age.

Again, I don't think it will change until the airlines want it to change, and right now it is not to their benefit.

Any judges out there care to chime in and add to or correct my horrible recollection of equal protection?

b757driver said:
............ being an international pilot, how the rest of the world views it ........

Being an international pilot, do you know that Italy and France do NOT allow PIC's over 59 into their airspace?

KLM pilots retire at 54.

How does the rest of the world view it?

SuperFLUF said:
Being an international pilot, do you know that Italy and France do NOT allow PIC's over 59 into their airspace?

KLM pilots retire at 54.

I am assuming you mean "airline pilots" when you make this assertion? Been flying in and out of both countries without incident and I am well over 59. Never been challenged or asked about my age by anyone. There is language in the ICAO Annex 1 that discusses the nuances of flying in the certain countries if both pilots are over age 60. The Dutch are certainly role models for the rest of the world! Where do I sign up for this sorry excuse of a country. PS my grandparents are from Holland, a fact that I seldom admit.

SuperFLUF said:

KLM pilots retire at 54.

Actually according to the folks on PPRUNE Italy allows overflight with no landing, in the case of France you are correct. This will all change on 1 October 2006 when an EU law becomes effective. At that time the limit will change to age 65 in accordance with JAA and ICAO standards.

The rest of the world is going to at least age 65, with the exception of countries like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand which have no limit.

FoxHunter said:
Actually according to the folks on PPRUNE Italy allows overflight with no landing, in the case of France you are correct. This will all change on 1 October 2006 when an EU law becomes effective. At that time the limit will change to age 65 in accordance with JAA and ICAO standards.

The rest of the world is going to at least age 65, with the exception of countries like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand which have no limit.

Shouldnt be much longer. Has to change sometime with life expectancy going up by leaps and bounds since 1959! It would be nice if they tied it in with Social Security and Medicare benefits.

Latest resources

Back