• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 Back Again!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It won't happen. Just ask the Supreme Court. You can't really argue with them, can you? Oh, maybe you can.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Spooky 1 said:
No Ted, Just tired of listening to low life jerks like you. Again, all I hear from your ilk is me, me, me, then a few I, I's. Know where your coming from and just don't agree with you. I think your type, who by the way, probably has done nothing significant in you paltry life are the problem. I should sit back for a moment, and realize that you, like me are only one voice in the airline wilderness, but your eagerness to dump on guys who have walked before you has me troubled. Age 60 will finally go by the way side. Your constant insults to those of us over 60, has me pissed and if you want to meet me and discuss this issue over a beer, or two please PM me. I suspect that that is not your only agenda, but one can hope that there is some light in the tunnel be sides the train.

Come on Ted, we are all getting older by the day. Recognize the world in which you live. Or maybe that's just yada yad yada, to you?

BTW, I know a number of furloghed UAL pilots who have taken good flying jobs while furloughed. Why can't you get off the UAL teat? My career at DAL was beyond my wildest dreams at any of my previous employers, so I have great feelings about that part of my career. Go figure.

PS Only complete ashol*s use the term dude. I can see why you are such a, well how can I say it..............jerk!

Spooky,

A lot of people are tired of attitudes like yours. How do Ted's remarks dump on those who walked before him anymore than your remarks dump on those who walked before you? You benefited tremendously your entire career from pilots who retired at 60. You don't actually think that all those pilots you flew with for all those years who stepped out of the picture so you could move up actually think it would be great if ole Spooky could get a second helping of senior airline captain? You know the faces, many of the names, you remember when they left...I know these folks too. Let me channel a bit of their exact sentiments: "Spooky, have a nice hot cup of shut the fcuk up"!

They quit a 60, you quit at 60...I quit at 60.

For those of you interested, Jetblue has gone to DC and is supporting the repeal of Age 60. Let's face it, I don't want to be pulled out of a burning building by a 60+ YO fireman, but if he passes his physical and can carry a 180# dummy all of these years in recurrent and in real life experiences, maybe he might be the best guy to save me that day. Therefore, I'm for a flight deck full of experience-- note Al Haynes did quite well a few months before he retired... Age 61, 62, or 65 are fine with me, as long as more strict physicals are adhered to... I'm hoping to retire at 55 or 60, but if they invent the magic pill in 15 years that allows us to live to 150, I guess working to 65, as long as it's still fun, wouldn't be a bad choice to have...

BLUE BAYOU said:
For those of you interested, Jetblue has gone to DC and is supporting the repeal of Age 60. Let's face it, I don't want to be pulled out of a burning building by a 60+ YO fireman, but if he passes his physical and can carry a 180# dummy all of these years in recurrent and in real life experiences, maybe he might be the best guy to save me that day. Therefore, I'm for a flight deck full of experience-- note Al Haynes did quite well a few months before he retired... Age 61, 62, or 65 are fine with me, as long as more strict physicals are adhered to... I'm hoping to retire at 55 or 60, but if they invent the magic pill in 15 years that allows us to live to 150, I guess working to 65, as long as it's still fun, wouldn't be a bad choice to have...

Al Haynes did do a nice job. He was not at the controls however (thats the brief I got). JetBlue has also gone to DC and is supporting 12 flight hour duty days. So I guess JetBlue wants merge pilot retirement age with average pilot mortality age. Thanks JetBlue.

Flopgut said:
Al Haynes did do a nice job. He was not at the controls however (thats the brief I got). JetBlue has also gone to DC and is supporting 12 flight hour duty days. So I guess JetBlue wants merge pilot retirement age with average pilot mortality age. Thanks JetBlue.

No, the aircraft was as uncontrollable as "not in control" can be. However, his strong leadership presence and ability to lead the crew to a near successful outcome was "in control"... Let's face it, the day you show up to fly you could be flying with a needle-head or an Al Haynes... The good thing is that there are at least two heads in the game when the poop hits the fan...

The new planes out here are not that hard to fly, in fact, with their technology, they're quite easy to handle. I find that most 59+ YO pilots out there have had a challenge getting "into" the computer age for the ones who've had a problem, but for the most part, the ones I have flown with have been a pleasure to fly with. I believe you'll see that the future 60+ YO pilots will be much healthier, safer, and in the know about the newest technology out there. This combination should continue to contribute to the best safety record in the world.

Jim Smyth said:
Plus we need to stick together and if we are forced out at 60 we need to be eligible for Social Security and Medicare immediately!

Now THAT I agree with!

BLUE BAYOU said:
For those of you interested, Jetblue has gone to DC and is supporting the repeal of Age 60.

That statement is kind of like the Hertz commercial: Not exactly!

An officer of jetblue has gone to the DC and said that jetblue supports repealing age 60, however, said person never did ask the pilot group what their thoughts were on the issue. So yes, that officer supports a repeal, perhaps the company does, the pilot group, who knows?

BLUE BAYOU said:
No, the aircraft was as uncontrollable as "not in control" can be. However, his strong leadership presence and ability to lead the crew to a near successful outcome was "in control"... Let's face it, the day you show up to fly you could be flying with a needle-head or an Al Haynes... The good thing is that there are at least two heads in the game when the poop hits the fan...

The new planes out here are not that hard to fly, in fact, with their technology, they're quite easy to handle. I find that most 59+ YO pilots out there have had a challenge getting "into" the computer age for the ones who've had a problem, but for the most part, the ones I have flown with have been a pleasure to fly with. I believe you'll see that the future 60+ YO pilots will be much healthier, safer, and in the know about the newest technology out there. This combination should continue to contribute to the best safety record in the world.

I agree with you on Al Haynes, he was in "control". The rest of that was pretty much white noise. This issue from JetBlue's perspective is pretty simple. For the rest of the industry it is quite complex. There are retirement plans, huge differences in pay and QOL with multiple fleets/routes, furloughs, etc. You name it. The part about new airplanes not being hard to fly is a little creepy to me. Quito, Ecuador and Teguciagalpa, Honduras aren't that easy no matter what airplane your in. That is why I'm a little skeptical about airlines like JetBlue asserting themselves in matters of policy. You may want to do transcon turns with two pilots, That means I'll have to go to Bogota with only two. Different deal.
****Additionally, I should point out that it was a very nice job Jetblue did in LA and a very good reflection on the profession as a whole. What was the median pilot age in that airplane? Was the landing handflown?***

Here is what we need to do. Lets get some guys/gals from over on the fractional side to chime in on age 60. They fly with these pilots, lets hear what they have to say. I have listened to many and it is not entirely flattering for over 60 types. And these are the best age 60+ pilots out there (that want/need to work). It is a real test of professionalism and overall ability for a retired pilot to start over at a fractional. The nature of the flying/schedule is demanding and the equipment is exceptional. This would be an opportunity to get some pretty good feedback on this issue.

Last edited:
BLUE BAYOU said:
.... but if he passes his physical and can carry a 180# dummy all of these years in recurrent and in real life experiences, ....

First off, I only weigh 160, secondly who are you calling dummy?

Spooky 1 said:
No Ted, Just tired of listening to low life jerks like you. Again, all I hear from your ilk is me, me, me, then a few I, I's. Know where your coming from and just don't agree with you. I think your type, who by the way, probably has done nothing significant in you paltry life are the problem. I should sit back for a moment, and realize that you, like me are only one voice in the airline wilderness, but your eagerness to dump on guys who have walked before you has me troubled. Age 60 will finally go by the way side. Your constant insults to those of us over 60, has me pissed and if you want to meet me and discuss this issue over a beer, or two please PM me. I suspect that that is not your only agenda, but one can hope that there is some light in the tunnel be sides the train.

Come on Ted, we are all getting older by the day. Recognize the world in which you live. Or maybe that's just yada yad yada, to you?

BTW, I know a number of furloghed UAL pilots who have taken good flying jobs while furloughed. Why can't you get off the UAL teat? My career at DAL was beyond my wildest dreams at any of my previous employers, so I have great feelings about that part of my career. Go figure.

PS Only complete ashol*s use the term dude. I can see why you are such a, well how can I say it..............jerk!

Get over yourself Spook.

Latest resources

Back