• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 Back Again!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There should be no age limit! Just look at our fine examples in congress. They dont control 100-300 peoples lives at a time, they control millions.

Lets face it, some guys would do fine going to 70 and some need to retire at 40. Make it more stricter health wise the older you get so that the guys that take care of them selves have a choice. Plus we need to stick together and if we are forced out at 60 we need to be eligible for Social Security and Medicare immediately!

Hmmm....

It is not a health issue, it is a safety issue. It has been dealt with for all practical purposes. If you are in the twilight of your career and broke, I'm sorry. I know all about it and I don't care to discuss it.

Is there anyway to simulpost this on the fractional side? There are age 60+ pilots over there. I hear some are good, some not so good. I have a friend that is near the policy level at a fractional and he characterizes it like this: They interview a lot of age 60+ types and they hire the best ones they can. Among those, the same traits are revealed. They have incredible experience and knowledge; However, most of them struggle with concentration and have lost "touch" with the controls. It results in the airplane not being where it should, often. Beyond that, he says once these pilots get to 62-64 or so, performance plummets! One in a thousand can cut the gig at 65. So among the age 60+ types who want/need to work the fractionals are hiring the best ones available. Sounds like that would be a pretty good control group to survey about the issue.

Spooky 1 said:
This is hilarious. Sorta like standing back and squirting more charcoal lighter fluid on the fire. Yes General it will change, and yes Ted I want'a sue you for asking stupid questions in the interview process. Your both fuke'd and you don't even know it yet. Just like the DAL pilots, wishing and praying this is just a bad dream. General, you need to get a job sellings BMW's down in Buckhead. Ted, you need to get a life a job worth your incredible imagination about your self worth.

When both of you grow up to be adults, you will se the big picture. The good newws is neither of you are in it.

No flaming here!

Yeah you funny guy....NOT!

Get a life, when you turn 60 go find something else to do, of I forgot you don't have a life....Well maybe you can find one soon?

BTW...which company do you work for?

FutureTEDpilot said:
Yeah you funny guy....NOT!

Get a life, when you turn 60 go find something else to do, of I forgot you don't have a life....Well maybe you can find one soon?

BTW...which company do you work for?

Hey Ted,

I was smart enough to leave DAL five years ago. Make more money, have more fun, fly Boeings than you will ever have in your life. BTW, are you bi-sexual, or do you just sound like a girl? Your pitiful!

God I love strok'in dumb fuks like you! Age 60 is a no brainer, if you have any brains? Of course if it is just I, I, I, me, me, me, then it gets complicated!

Age 60 won't change until the airlines want it to change. Right now they love replacing the crusty captains from the golden era with wannabees from the commuters with little or no expectations of a good paying career.

Spooky 1 said:
Hey Ted,

I was smart enough to leave DAL five years ago. Make more money, have more fun, fly Boeings than you will ever have in your life. BTW, are you bi-sexual, or do you just sound like a girl? Your pitiful!

God I love strok'in dumb fuks like you! Age 60 is a no brainer, if you have any brains? Of course if it is just I, I, I, me, me, me, then it gets complicated!

Dude, what got your panties in a wad? If you were so smart to bail from DAL five years ago then why are you on this board talking how you worked for Pan-Am, Western, Delta, flying twin Otters yadda yadda, yadda. Gotta get that ego stroked eh? I guess the Delta boys got to you since you weren't "real" Delta.

I bet if we met face to face your language would be different. Real class act from a "retired Delta pilot"

Re: Age 60

Sorry there young fellers, but this one will change. The deciding issue isn't the last ALPA poll, it's something y'all may not know about called the PBGC.

The Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp. pays a maximum of 28.8K at age 60 for those plans that have been terminated. I have heard much from Delta, and United folks on their plans and how they are going to try to keep them. Don't bet on it, those pension plans will be dumped in the PBGC. Even if a pilot plan is well funded, other employee plans may not be and dumping one at the expense of the others will result in lawsuits etc.

The United and Delta pension plans will be turned over to the PBGC and then you will see the majority of ALPA pilots supporting increasing the retirement age, not because they want to work but because they have too.

It ain't pretty but it is what's happening in the industry. No carrier can afford a defined pension plan when SWA, Jet Blue, and other LCC's don't have one. United cannot get out of bankruptcy until the pension issue is cleared up and I will bet Delta will be the same way. If one dumps a plan the other will have too.

My $.02, let the flames begin.

FutureTEDpilot said:
Dude, what got your panties in a wad? If you were so smart to bail from DAL five years ago then why are you on this board talking how you worked for Pan-Am, Western, Delta, flying twin Otters yadda yadda, yadda. Gotta get that ego stroked eh? I guess the Delta boys got to you since you weren't "real" Delta.

I bet if we met face to face your language would be different. Real class act from a "retired Delta pilot"

No Ted, Just tired of listening to low life jerks like you. Again, all I hear from your ilk is me, me, me, then a few I, I's. Know where your coming from and just don't agree with you. I think your type, who by the way, probably has done nothing significant in you paltry life are the problem. I should sit back for a moment, and realize that you, like me are only one voice in the airline wilderness, but your eagerness to dump on guys who have walked before you has me troubled. Age 60 will finally go by the way side. Your constant insults to those of us over 60, has me pissed and if you want to meet me and discuss this issue over a beer, or two please PM me. I suspect that that is not your only agenda, but one can hope that there is some light in the tunnel be sides the train.

Come on Ted, we are all getting older by the day. Recognize the world in which you live. Or maybe that's just yada yad yada, to you?

BTW, I know a number of furloghed UAL pilots who have taken good flying jobs while furloughed. Why can't you get off the UAL teat? My career at DAL was beyond my wildest dreams at any of my previous employers, so I have great feelings about that part of my career. Go figure.

PS Only complete ashol*s use the term dude. I can see why you are such a, well how can I say it..............jerk!

Last edited:
Groucho said:
Sorry there young fellers, but this one will change. The deciding issue isn't the last ALPA poll, it's something y'all may not know about called the PBGC.

The Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp. pays a maximum of 28.8K at age 60 for those plans that have been terminated. I have heard much from Delta, and United folks on their plans and how they are going to try to keep them. Don't bet on it, those pension plans will be dumped in the PBGC. Even if a pilot plan is well funded, other employee plans may not be and dumping one at the expense of the others will result in lawsuits etc.

The United and Delta pension plans will be turned over to the PBGC and then you will see the majority of ALPA pilots supporting increasing the retirement age, not because they want to work but because they have too.

It ain't pretty but it is what's happening in the industry. No carrier can afford a defined pension plan when SWA, Jet Blue, and other LCC's don't have one. United cannot get out of bankruptcy until the pension issue is cleared up and I will bet Delta will be the same way. If one dumps a plan the other will have too.

My $.02, let the flames begin.

So does the PBGC want to take those pension benefits from pilots at age 60 and pay 28k, or let pilots retire at age 65 and pay them 45k? Cause the PBGC is going to be taking on a bunch of retirement benefits, not just the airlines. Would they not rather have the pilots retire early and get off paying less to them?

Latest resources

Back