• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a little off the subject, but Mark Detroit put out to schedulers that we had agreed to a contract and would be bidding cof by this weekend. I checked the hot lines and this is NOT true. This is disinformation (read lie) and is designed to fracture the group even more. I told one of the schedulers this and s o now they know the rest of the story. Pass the word.

PASSED

The OPF system which allows those very few at the top to nearly double their pay hasn't been in the best interests of the majority - instead of real pay raises we're given the opportunity for additional work. The justification for this during the last civil war within the union (which the good guys lost to the detriment of the majority but advantage to the few) was along the lines of "one day you'll be senior so go along with it".

Many went with it, many are still being carried along by it, and many will no longer ever be senior. "One day it will be your turn" is a premise relying upon continued growth, a growth which unfortunately ran out of steam about a decade ago. Age 65 is also really going to hurt - but not everyone.

I agree totally. Personally I am in favor of some type of cap on OPF. At least we should let more of the group get the benefits of OPF instead of a generally small group at the top. Especially since it looks more and more like there are many who will never be senior.

instead of a generally small group at the top.

you're kidding, right?

I just looked at the MAY opf award, and hit 100 pilots before I got out of the names starting with "H". Maybe somebody can count them all. Lets see if it was really a "small group at the top"

MY PROPOSAL:

In any bid period a crewmember may bid open time up to amount no greater than one shuttle or trips totaling 7 pay days. In the event crewmembers are on furlough, crewmembers shall not be awarded open time or COF, unless they are within 5 years of the FAA mandatory retirement and have not yet reached their annual retirement credit cap. Vacation buy back shall be counted against the 7 day monthly maximum.

====================

Everyone can get a 50% premium over their salary. (Isn't that enough?)

It makes OPF available to more people.

It encourages people to actually take their vacation, while still giving junior people who can't get OPF a chance to make some extra money.

It doesn't penalize prospective retirees. However, once they max out, they have to shut it down for the rest of the year.

It removes the need to reduce the OPF cap from 13% in the event of a furlough.

(Morally I don't think people should bid OPF while there is a furlough but the votes of the greedy are needed too.)

MY PROPOSAL:

It removes the need to reduce the OPF cap from 13% in the event of a furlough.

So you think we should furlough until we are at 13% OPF in every seat in the company....real slick! Are we not trying to save jobs, not create more furloughs?

No Bitter,

If the company were to furlough, the 13% would become irrelevant because like our current situation no one could bid or would be awarded OPF. So it would encourage the company to use less than 13% or use build up lines (options they have now). If that is not clear enough for you or the company, just add a sentence that states in the event of furlough, the 13% OPF cap is reduced to 5%.

Let's be sure to keep our focus on the ball. The OPF boycott is a self-help response to management's violation of the status quo with the ANA contract. We're not going to solve the OPF distribution issue here.

I do completely agree that it is immoral for anyone to be bidding open flying with furloughed hostages on the street. But, really, is anyone surprised by the individuals who put their own greed above all else? Do the names surprise you? Are these people your friends?

Our focus should be on unity. We face an adversary who has demonstrated in the past that his "scum sucking scorpion" pilots have no value to him--aside from putting bonus dollars in his pocket.

If you haven't already, listen to the hotline

Latest resources

Back