• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chief Pilots are telling people to expect 10 more furloughs by the end of the year...

Chief Pilots are telling people to expect 10 more furloughs by the end of the year...

Since when has a Chief Pilot told the pilot group the truth......that said the furlough will probably run deeper than that. My guess is 50-60 total. DHL has broken ABX. A shame, but a once proud airline is in the first part of its death throws.

Run boys while you can.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how is DHL killing ABX? Are they transfering flying to Astar, or forcing the rates down or what?

Isn't this ANA deal a saving grace? Your expanding your ACMI footprint.

If I were a chief pilot and trying break up a group that's 99% unified (I heard it was 7, not 9), that's what I'd say too.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how is DHL killing ABX? Are they transfering flying to Astar, or forcing the rates down or what?
DHL has parked a bunch of ABX DC9s. Astar, because their ACMI is different than ours, has not parked anything that's not broke yet.
Yes, ANA could be HUGE. But it's still a tad early to be sure. Stay tuned!

To answer the question, DHL is methodically transferring flying to Astar and thereby relieving ABX of route structure. Too many cities to list here but the latest to go will be PIT, GRR, TLH. Someone else could impress you with the actual number but I'm guessing we've lost close to 30 cities. As a result, ABX is having to take aircraft out of service and furlough crewmembers. DHL is within it's right as per the ACMI contract to reduce the number of aircraft it contracts from ABX, but it doesn't make sense when you consider ABX's performance.
The ANA flying is definitely a step into the International market but that is a separate ACMI contract that will live or die on it's own.
I don't know if anyone else has looked at it from this perspective, but the way DHL is shuffling work over to Astar has the net effect of settling their scope grievance via the back door. Interesting.....

ABX losing cities

To answer the question, DHL is methodically transferring flying to Astar and thereby relieving ABX of route structure. Too many cities to list here but the latest to go will be PIT, GRR, TLH. Someone else could impress you with the actual number but I'm guessing we've lost close to 30 cities. As a result, ABX is having to take aircraft out of service and furlough crewmembers. DHL is within it's right as per the ACMI contract to reduce the number of aircraft it contracts from ABX, but it doesn't make sense when you consider ABX's performance.
The ANA flying is definitely a step into the International market but that is a separate ACMI contract that will live or die on it's own.
I don't know if anyone else has looked at it from this perspective, but the way DHL is shuffling work over to Astar has the net effect of settling their scope grievance via the back door. Interesting.....

To be perfectly clear... PIT and GRR (present ABX cities) are expected to become Astar through flights. TLH is expected to be turned over to a feeder as it was before, probably from JAX. I am assuming that BHM will continue on to LIT instead of TLH.

It will be interesting to see how the new announcement of relaxed US/China route authorities by 2011 will impact the possible future China ops by ABX. It is obvious that Mr. Hete wants our presence over there and in a big way. This could really be the start of something big. Too bad the DHL system turned out to be such a disappointment to us all. It appear to have such potential when the first announcement was made.

As far as Chief Pilot rhetoric about additional furloughs...It certainly is possible but let's remember something...This has been the first time in my 15+ years at the company that the pilot group has had any real negotiating power at all (ANA). I would surmise that this is an effort from flight management's side to attempt to regain some perceived leverage against our group. Lower the contract expectations is the game! Let's not fall for it.

Interesting, yes. But I think its just a matter of money, not scope. Under Astar's current ACMI, DHL pays Astar whether they fly or not, so they fly em. DHL only pays ABX for what we actually fly. So we're the ones that are suffering DHL's service cutbacks.

The COF Award posted day before yesterday for 5/23-31 shows 24 guys bidding 30 or so days! Kinda flies in the face of the stated 7 guys in June.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back