• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
look at the bid packet, the look at the award and see you does not have vacation, cause they sold it.

I gave up after a half dozen in the right seat of the 9. Knew I would be even more thrilled if I looked at the captains!
In the email chain somebody suggested that everybody who wanted to buyback vacation in June to trade their June vacation for one later in the year. I suppose its possible that the guys you see in the bid pack with June vacation did that. There were plenty weeks available later in the year for the DC9. There were none available later in the year in the 767 left seat.

Last edited:
In the email chain somebody suggested that everybody who wanted to buyback vacation in June to trade their June vacation for one later in the year. I suppose its possible that the guys you see in the bid pack with June vacation did that. There were plenty weeks available later in the year for the DC9. There were none available later in the year in the 767 left seat.

i am always for giving people the benifit of doudt, I hope you are right. There is a significant amount weighing on this, for everyone, not just the ten hostages.

Talked to one 767 F/O who's scheduled to go soon. He said that people think that he's volunteered for it but he didn't. He's on reserve and it was assigned to him. He says that he doesn't know anyone who volunteered for it.

Will he be doing it under the days off and deadhead rules of the old contract?

He's on reserve so they can send him anywhere they want. The company is denying any duty time limit on commercial deadheads.

Simple fix. Once he lands at his connecting city, he becomes ill, fatigued, whatever, tells company he needs rest before going on. Option 2, lands at destination, tells company I am sick, fatigued, back problems from the coach seat and needs medical attention. Watch the horror unfold with the attempt to get medical assistance. The FAA is on our side when it comes to rest and fit to fly not the company.

Even though I am not on the 76 we have had similar problems with the company junior manning. You allow the company to force you into doing something you know is not right. Worst case, you talk to a chief pilot, worst next is you are asked to get a note. You go to doctor (your doctor, could take days to get appointment, make sure to expense the office visit to company) get a note, done deal. The schedulers use the threat of talking to chief pilot to get you to go along with the hose job.

The company is denying any duty time limit on commercial deadheads.

Do you guys have business class or better for long flights? It's not a substitute for rest, but it'd sure be nice to have. We don't, but our contract requires that commercial travel be counted as duty unless we have 8 hours of intervening rest. I'm guessing that your duty limits, including commercial travel, are defined by your contract. If so, I hope it's being grieved by anyone who is denied those limits.

We have business class or better for flights exceeding 4 hours to international destinations, or the crewmember can waive that for a monetary fee.

He's on reserve so they can send him anywhere they want. The company is denying any duty time limit on commercial deadheads.

I understand that he (they) would have to go. I was thinking more in terms of the length of his stay, was that within the current days off matrix or 23 days on. As for the class of service some guys have been commenting on, UAL was deadheading guys from New York to Narita in coach for a while and sure enough, everyone that got to NRT was ending up with knee or back problems which would cause cancelled flights. The company got it figured out pretty quick and returned guys to business class

All of Abx's ANA flying is a contract violation.

Let us see what the membership does. It is up to them, they will get what they allow. Personally I think they should hold the line......

I understand that he (they) would have to go. I was thinking more in terms of the length of his stay, was that within the current days off matrix or 23 days on.

We have some reserve lines that have one block of 14 days off and one block of 16 or 17 days on (for a 30 or 31 day month respectively). That was the case with the 767 F/O with whom I talked.

Latest resources

Back