• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The union leadership says "The job has a certain value and you are where you are." That pretty well sums it up.

It sounds like there would be an effort to find 4 guys to agree on what toppings to get on a pizza. I hope everyone decides to pull together to do the right thing. Speaking personally, I would gladly give up my severance for a job that gets me a paycheck every two weeks. Retention is for not leaving if I found one now.

Where do you guys go from here? Do you need to go to the company with a plan? Vote on your own plan? Vote on a company plan? Where are you as far as the guys that will be gone this JAN and FEB getting their retention and severance? EDIT: Or the ones already gone?

So you think the few who get to stay for a month or two maybe six if lucky should be happy seeing all the severance given to the ones who are furloughrd now?
Then what do the rest get when their jobs go away?
Dhl is supposed to be giving this money to the whole pilot group as severance not just the few who think they need it more!
OK. Here's what we do.

Dave Ross said "The company’s end vision for crew staffing is 230 active crew members and a total 27 either on LOA or in management for a total number of 257."

For those 257 who will still have a job, you should get a choice. If you do not have confidence, take a voluntary furlough with severance. If you think you will be better off staying, then stay with the company and continue to enjoy your paycheck while your brothers are out on the street using their severance to transition to a new life. Assess the situation. Make a decision.

You shouldn't have it both ways and grab with both hands.

Last edited:
OK. Here's what we do.

Dave Ross said "The company’s end vision for crew staffing is 230 active crew members and a total 27 either on LOA or in management for a total number of 257."

For those 257 who will still have a job, you should get a choice. If you do not have confidence, take a voluntary furlough with severance. If you think you will be better off staying, then stay with the company and continue to enjoy your paycheck while your brothers are out on the street. Assess the situation. Make a decision.

But won't they still be effected by lower wages post DHL? Shouldn't those staying still get something, as their pay will be cut as a result of DHL?

But won't they still be effected by lower wages post DHL? Shouldn't those staying still get something, as their pay will be cut as a result of DHL?
The union says the wages will stay where they are. And even if they were to get something, it shouldn't be the lions share!

The union says the wages will stay where they are. And even if they were to get something, it shouldn't be the lions share!

The wages cant stay the same as they are now. In order for ABX to compete wages, work rules are all going to have to change. ABX is now in competition with the likes of Arrow, centurion, even southern.

The union and pilot group are going to have to be very smart in how you negotiate in the future.

The wages cant stay the same as they are now. In order for ABX to compete wages, work rules are all going to have to change. ABX is now in competition with the likes of Arrow, centurion, even southern.

The union and pilot group are going to have to be very smart in how you negotiate in the future.
Re. "The wages cant stay the same as they are now." You should watch the video of the last meeting.

Given the choice, I would chose to remain even in the post DHL scenario.

The objection is to having your cake and eating it too.

OK. Here's what we do.

For those 257 who will still have a job, you should get a choice. If you do not have confidence, take a voluntary furlough with severance. If you think you will be better off staying, then stay with the company and continue to enjoy your paycheck while your brothers are out on the street using their severance to transition to a new life. Assess the situation. Make a decision.

You shouldn't have it both ways and grab with both hands.
Let me get this straight. So when ABX shuts down once DHL leaves, you would have everybody who's now joining you in the unemployment line get nothing. And no pension to boot. Well I guess you'd finally have your revenge on senior pilots.

the union plan is fair.

Not true, ABX has the B-767 and that is what DHL likes. They carry a lot of cargo and they are fuel efficient. DHL does not want a three engine or a four engine bird.

Latest resources

Back