• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But I'll tell you what I AM entitled to. When the union local assumes the responsibility of negotiating on my behalf, I AM entitled to fair representation!

And so are the folks have worked here 30+ years for a pension they may not get. Argueably they could have demanded the pension in increased wages/benefits over that term. They did not, but they ARE entitled to a piece of the pie you seem to want for yourself. You seem to be looking at this money as though you and few others have hit the lottery. As has been pointed out this is both Severance AND Retention. Those who stay should also get a piece of the action. They may find themselves out of work with no prospects at all AND no retirement to speak of in very short order. Giving you the lion's share or all of the of the money earmarked for Severence and RETENTION does not provide them with fair representation.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. So when ABX shuts down once DHL leaves, you would have everybody who's now joining you in the unemployment line get nothing. And no pension to boot. Well I guess you'd finally have your revenge on senior pilots.

the union plan is fair.
You should watch the video from the last union meeting! They all seem optimistic about the company going forward.

But, like I said, if you don't feel that way, take the voluntary furlough and cash out. Just don't try to have it both ways. If you don't think the company has a future, I will be happy to trade places with you!

And can you tell me what makes you think I seek revenge on senior pilots?

Last edited:
And some folks have worked here 30+ years for a pension they may not get. Argueably they could have demanded the pension in increased wages/benefits over that term. They did not, but they ARE entitled to a piece of the pie you seem to want for yourself. You seem to be looking at this money as though you and few others have hit the lottery. As has been pointed out this is both Severance AND Retention. Those who stay should also get a piece of the action. They may find themselves out of work with no prospects at all AND no retirement to speak of in very short order.
Severance AND Retention. Like you're going somewhere?

Severance AND Retention. Like you're going somewhere?

The only place I have to go now is early retirement on a pension that may get jerked out from under me with little or no notice, so I will probably chose to stay. That entitles me to retention, in my view. Doesn't matter where I might go, or why I might go or stay, only that I don't leave. Rentention is to keep enough people around with the right qualifications to fly the aircraft as long as they are needed.

I could have left this past summer. I chose not to.

erichartmann, if this is a lottery, I don't want my ticket. I'm going out quick. Thats my seniority and my problem. Your more senior and I truely hope you are one that gets to stay. I think we all deserve the package in equal amounts. If it is divided by seniority, the more senior gets the lion share AND keeps a pay check. Talk about a lottery ticket. DHL is going away and the junior pilots have flown yellow planes just as long as the senior. Thats why I don't think it should be by seniority. That and look how heated the issue makes people. Those that will be without employment because of DHL, I don't think anyone feels they have one a lottery. An easy solution is for the leadership to list two or three solutions and put it to radification. I for one would be happy to go with what the majority says. Just put it to a vote and then everyone is represented.

The only place I have to go now is early retirement on a pension that may get jerked out from under me with little or no notice, so I will probably chose to stay. That entitles me to retention, in my view. Doesn't matter where I might go, or why I might go or stay, only that I don't leave. Rentention is to keep enough people around with the right qualifications to fly the aircraft as long as they are needed.

Unfortunately, they seem to have an excess of people with the "right qualifications to fly the aircraft" at this time.

erichartmann, if this is a lottery, I don't want my ticket. I'm going out quick. Thats my seniority and my problem. Your more senior and I truely hope you are one that gets to stay. I think we all deserve the package in equal amounts. If it is divided by seniority, the more senior gets the lion share AND keeps a pay check. Talk about a lottery ticket. DHL is going away and the junior pilots have flown yellow planes just as long as the senior. Thats why I don't think it should be by seniority. That and look how heated the issue makes people. Those that will be without employment because of DHL, I don't think anyone feels they have one a lottery. An easy solution is for the leadership to list two or three solutions and put it to radification. I for one would be happy to go with what the majority says. Just put it to a vote and then everyone is represented.
Well said.

Grasshopper and the ant.

As I initially stated, the only fair way is to divide it up by the number of pilots on the seniority list. period.

if you still have a job with ABX, that is what your seniority entitles you to. no hard feelings, you get the severance and keep your job, have fun.

Latest resources

Back