• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I initially stated, the only fair way is to divide it up by the number of pilots on the seniority list. period.

if you still have a job with ABX, that is what your seniority entitles you to. no hard feelings, you get the severance and keep your job, have fun.
Sounds like a wise proposal.

Poverty wants much; but avarice, everything

I have no dog in this fight, but a severance for folks not losing their jobs is a bit odd? I have never heard of such a thing. Why would those staying on the property get a severance?

I have no dog in this fight, but a severance for folks not losing their jobs is a bit odd? I have never heard of such a thing. Why would those staying on the property get a severance?

I agree. But would you really expect anything less from a pilot. Stab your buddy in the back and get what you can.

I agree. But would you really expect anything less from a pilot. Stab your buddy in the back and get what you can.
Sad but true!

From top to bottom of the ladder, greed is aroused without knowing where to find ultimate foothold. Nothing can calm it, since its goal is far beyond all it can attain. Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned. Emile Durkheim

I have no dog in this fight, but a severance for folks not losing their jobs is a bit odd?
Severance and Retention aside, if you can assume those that won't get furloughed will still have a job, your point has merit.

But this company has a half billion in debt, 50 million in cash, will most likely lose its biggest customer in 6 months, and still has big pension obligations. It's got bankruptcy written all over it. The stock market has already concluded that; it's selling for 20 cents a share. Most likely we're ALL out of jobs, not just the ones getting furloughed.

It's just not declaring bankruptcy right now, because DHL is still paying the bills, and so we're operating at a profit. But as soon as DHL quits paying the bills, Joe will file BK. Even if he tries to keep ABX flying through BK (and why? he's got Cappy and ATI with cheaper labor, even with the new contract the union’s talking about) those that will still have a job will most certainly have lost their pension.

The severance and retention package is intended to compensate for all of those hardships, not just the ones getting furloughed before the rest of us lose.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']
As I initially stated, the only fair way is to divide it up by the number of pilots on the seniority list. period. if you still have a job with ABX, that is what your seniority entitles you to. no hard feelings, you get the severance and keep your job, have fun.[/font]
Isn't that pretty much what the union has proposed?

Severance and Retention aside, if you can assume those that won't get furloughed will still have a job, your point has merit.

But this company has a half billion in debt, 50 million in cash, will most likely lose its biggest customer in 6 months, and still has big pension obligations. It's got bankruptcy written all over it. The stock market has already concluded that; it's selling for 20 cents a share. Most likely we're ALL out of jobs, not just the ones getting furloughed.

It's just not declaring bankruptcy right now, because DHL is still paying the bills, and so we're operating at a profit. But as soon as DHL quits paying the bills, Joe will file BK. Even if he tries to keep ABX flying through BK (and why? he's got Cappy and ATI with cheaper labor, even with the new contract the union’s talking about) those that will still have a job will most certainly have lost their pension.

The severance and retention package is intended to compensate for all of those hardships, not just the ones getting furloughed before the rest of us lose.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']
Isn't that pretty much what the union has proposed?
No. It isn't what the union proposed. You should watch the video of the meeting.

Leadership is a privilege to better the lives of others. It is not an opportunity to satisfy personal greed.
Mwai Kibaki

Last edited:
No. It isn't what the union proposed. You should watch the video of the meeting.
I did. And the hotline. After paying for 6 months health benefits for those furloughed, it gets divided up. Those that get furloughed get it right away. Those that don't, the money is set aside until they lose their job.

If, after 3 years, they haven't lost their job, that money gets put into the pension fund, which benefits everyone, including you.

if you still have a job with ABX, that is what your seniority entitles you to. no hard feelings, you get the severance and keep your job, have fun.
No, if you still have a job, you wouldn't get it. It would go into the pension fund. Which benefits everyone.

It's a fair plan.

You're right about not having a dog in this fight. Plus you only know what people on this board are telling you. Some of the pay is for continued service from May 08 til the end. Everyone deserves part of that pie. We still operate in the high 90% for on time deliveries. Dhl is paying RETENTION for those folks maintaining those numbers. It's just not severance. I am amazed at the opinions from those that no say in this matter. But I guess your job status is perfect so you have lots of free time.

Classic,
The reason the severence or retention wouldgo to all pilots is that it is not money from ABX (employer), it is money hrom DHL (customer). We are all effected either by income loss or pension loss. It has potentially been a fatal blow to ABX. Thats why some of us feel that ALL should receive it but should receive it equally. If its not equally divided, then it should only go to those losing their jobs.(IMO)

Latest resources

Back