• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bueller?.........Bueller?.........Bueller?........

why is it everyone believes they are entitled to a severence or retention ? Arent you entitled to what the contract says and if the abx chooses to pay you anymore than its just a plus.

We're ALL out of a job. Those that are getting furloughed now and the rest when ABX gets shut down.

The stock market is smarter than any one man, and the market says this place won't survive. 20 cents a share and you think there's a future here?? Gimme a break.

At the meeting, The local president responding to a question about why not distribute the money evenly by saying "A junior dc9 fo is at a different place in life than most likely the 767 captain, a DC9 captain. They have a different standard of living." He later went on to say "The job has a certain value and you are where you are." Does that mean that the DC9 FO's need to feed and clothe his family; to put a roof over their heads and provide medical care is less important? That was an appalling statement.

Regarding the future of the company, the local president said "I'm not going to say we're going to grow back to where we are now, but, I think were putting the pieces in place to grow this airline back um we all know the stumbling blocks to doing that but um I think we have the pieces in place to grow it."

why is it everyone believes they are entitled to a severence or retention ? Arent you entitled to what the contract says and if the abx chooses to pay you anymore than its just a plus.

If ABX were paying it, sure. But this is DHL paid.

They need people doing what they do until DHL does not need it any longer or DHL would not have anything moving at all. So, they put money on the table for people to stay until the end. Many (or all) will lose their jobs when it is over so they also elected to do the right thing and provide a severance for those people. So everyone should be getting a DHL retention for staying until the end and those that do not have jobs will (should) get a severance. ABX as already said the number of job losses would bankrupt them and they could not afford to pay it. This is DHL funds.

Last edited:
Just remember all of the older guys who have lost a big chunk of their retirement, especially if the ship sinks. I can understand why they feel any money from DHL should be dispersed by seniority. It's just about game over for a lot of those guys, even with age 65.

EDIT: Also, the projected post DHL pay scale is not that great looking. Everyone loses something.

Last edited:
At the meeting, The local president responding to a question about why not distribute the money evenly by saying "A junior dc9 fo is at a different place in life than most likely the 767 captain, a DC9 captain. They have a different standard of living." He later went on to say "The job has a certain value and you are where you are." Does that mean that the DC9 FO's need to feed and clothe his family; to put a roof over their heads and provide medical care is less important? That was an appalling statement.

Regarding the future of the company, the local president said "I'm not going to say we're going to grow back to where we are now, but, I think were putting the pieces in place to grow this airline back um we all know the stumbling blocks to doing that but um I think we have the pieces in place to grow it."

I hope you guys get it worked out and it is the right thing. It sounds like they are handling this lump of DHL funds as one thing when it it really two. One for retention for staying on and one for those who get severed.

Good luck.

Are you suggesting that nobody should get the severance?

for .20 a share, the union should by the darn company, fire Joe and pay out the severance. If they can make a go at it doing charter work all the better, but our biggest problem "no vision Joe" along with his equally vision challenged lower management would be gone. Imagine how much more instep the whole company would be with vested workers calling the shots, and not worried about their "bonus" check for this quarter. I know a pipe dream, I have heard all the reasons why it wont work. Of course the people who say it would not work all have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.................., now if we could only get a bailout for the cargo industry.

now that is typical. Lets see us pilots now own the compay, first thing is we give everyone raises, hotels need to be nicer, max 6 hour duty days, everyone off for holidays and did I say pay raises.

Pilots cant run airlines, all ego.

It's called Severance and Retention

DPWN Holdings (USA), Inc. ("DHL") and ABX Air, Inc. ("ABX"), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Air Transport Services Group, Inc.
("ATSG"), entered into a Severance and Retention Agreement (the "Agreement")
pursuant to which DHL will reimburse ABX for certain costs incurred in providing severance, retention and other benefits to ABX's employees whose employment is terminated in connection with DHL's implementation of its U.S. restructuring plan.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/080820/atsg8-k.html

Latest resources

Back