• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Air to Acquire CHI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, I guess this will kill those "another offer coming" rumors.

Dilemna:

Do the ATI/Cappy guys want to all be merged together? Would you trade your seniority for a pay raise (ATI = 50%, Capital = 100%).

Not trying to be a $hit starter, it is any interesting question. There will only be one list if all 3 unions push for it.

Dilemna:

Do the ATI/Cappy guys want to all be merged together? Would you trade your seniority for a pay raise (ATI = 50%, Capital = 100%).

Not trying to be a $hit starter, it is any interesting question. There will only be one list if all 3 unions push for it.

hey Go, do you know how long to get things done if they file for single carrier cert.? Not saying they will, or want to, just how long that takes.

ummmmm, okay...does anyone know how long something like that takes?

Last edited:
My guess the company will fight going to a single carrier. CHI had them separate for a reason. Just look at the pay differences between the 3 airlines. The synergies would have to be pretty great to wrap everything together. Pilots are only part of the equation. (Mechanics, admin, etc.)

Under the holding company umbrella Hete has access to the resources but he can strip them out at his pleasure. So I'm sure future 76s will be offered to both ABX and CCIA, so who wants to operate them cheaper? Merging certificates also wastes the value of the CCIA 76 ticket. Along the same line of thought, ABX now has access to 727 paperwork so how might this be used against Astar? I can think of a few possibilities and none of them are good.

I have no information on the condition of the 8's and 72s, but even if the were in excellent mechanical condition like the ABX birds, they are still fuel hogs. How long do you tolerate that? and who gets the replacements? We are back to the Whipsawville.

The 3 (4 if you count Astar) pilot groups have got to exert their influence to have one airline. We are have the power to do this is the question. Today, this all sounds very logical, but when you are faced with losing seniority and seat position versus "your" airline picking up a dozen new planes....there is a great temptation to be short sighted. Even if it is your own decision to take the bait, bitterness will eventually set in over the fact that a narrow body FO is making more than a wide body Captain.

Everyone will face tough decisions in the future.

Come on guys, this thing is only 6 hours old and your stinkin' it up already. There is so much info coming down the road...who knows. I would like to see a combined list, and I would think a combined group would benefit ALL THREE airlines, if that's the way this goes.

Just to throw out some numbers, we (ATI) currently operate 7 -71 and 5 -73 freighters, plus 3 -62 and 1 -72 combi aircraft. One additional -72 is in storage with no apparent future, and another -71 is in storage until a currently-operating -71 times out and goes away (very soon). Either way, we have 16 operational aircraft. They are all owned by another entity that appears(?) to be owned by a CHI subsidiary as we currently are.

Cappy provides most if not all of their service to BAX out of the TOL hub. We tend to spread out all over the place, with about half of the fleet dedicated to BAX, the rest ad hoc and military. Pure conjecture here, but we have generally 3-5 aircraft sitting in TOL with nothing to do, which may play into the opening subject of the "good news for ABX" thread... A bit short on crews, though. No idea where that may lead us.

Last edited:
Come on guys, this thing is only 6 hours old and your stinkin' it up already. There is so much info coming down the road...who knows. I would like to see a combined list, and I would think a combined group would benefit ALL THREE airlines, if that's the way this goes.

Here! Here! Let's see how this pans out, before we start throwing S&#t at the fan.

I can tell you what most guys want at ATI (besides a larger paycheck) is probably what most everyone else wants in the freight industry.... Stability, which is something we did not have with Fox at the helm.

We are not looking for your job or anyone else's, most of us just want a place we can call home until retirement. ATI has never (at least since I've been there) a place to get some hours and a type rating then split. We all bitch about our jobs, just like you guy's do, but overall our QOL is'nt bad.

And no matter what, this deal seems to be a "Done Deal". So instead of fighting right off the bat, we try to make this as best we can for all of us.

Not so fast, although this isn't good news for DHL. These aircraft still need freight to haul and if not DHL's, then whose? Unless of course our Japanese friends want a slice of the US domestic express market in which case where's the new sort operation going to be based?

They already have freight to fly.
The new base will be in Xenia.

Latest resources

Back