• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Air to Acquire CHI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It all depends in what ABX management wants to do with the new purchase and the reason why they did the purchase. If it is just for market monopoly I wouldn't be surprised for ABX to get rid of Cappy and ATI, and try to cover all the freight by their own capacity. If it is just for growing and expansion it might be possible to operate in 3 different airlines, everyone with its own market. Only the future will tell. This kind of acquire is new. It will be interesting to watch. Good luck to everybody involved

Well, Its a good play for managment in midst of a contract negotiations. You could give the ATI guys a small raise to do the same job and still save 40% or Capital and save 60% over current ABX labor rates. Thats across the board not just flight crew labor rates. You guys had better get yourselves all in the same union.

Ya know what, take a close look at my avatar. Go sip on that for a while. Its all going to be OK and you wont be used against one another. ABX is not going to use ATI are Capi just to save a buck or two.

Got Scope?

Last edited:
I wonder if they will attempt to put the ANA flying under the CHI certificate? Since it's a relatively small operation at this point. Have the ABX/DHL certificate, the CHI certificate with the 76's in KIX and the ATI certificate for BAX. This will get interesting indeed.

Well doesn't ATI do most of the international work? The 8 (70's) will out range and out lift that 76-200.

Well, Its a good play for managment in midst of a contract negotiations. You could give the ATI guys a small raise to do the same job and still save 40% or Capital and save 60% over current ABX labor rates. Thats across the board not just flight crew labor rates. You guys had better get yourselves all in the same union.

Ya know what, take a close look at my avatar. Go sip on that for a while. Its all going to be OK and you wont be used against one another. ABX is not going to use ATI are Capi just to save a buck or two.

Got Scope?

Perhaps not such a good move for management at all. ATI/Cappy would have to be nuts to do the same work for less now that it's a common parent company. All three of this new ABX group are union (although Cappy is only alpo - union lite) and management having their wicked way is less than assured.

If you want to fuel scenarios consider that Astar isn't part of this group and is mired in a contractual dispute, the freight they carry not being theirs but belonging to DHL. Scope we all have, but referenced to what?

Also consider that DHL may now actually wake up and decide to settle things with its favored Astar child at Wilmington and fleet plan to longterm remove the ABX pain in their rear end. Or DP could dig deep into their pockets and buy the lot, and if they're serious about being a successful player in the US market they may now have to.

The waters get muddier, fun to watch the chaos though.

And yes TWA, Xenia OH it was, but not seriously.

Everything might be just DHL's game in its tendancy to get as much as possible over US market. We have Fedex and UPS left, as all american giant airlines. All others have been purchased in a way or other by DHL, or DHL has a very heavy word to say. FDX and UPS are the only big american freight companies left, Kitty Hawk (delf destruct), Emery (purchased by UPS) and BAX through CHI (taken over by DHL through ABX), Now DHL has Willmington, possible Ft Wayne, and Toledo. Every company out there except FDX /UPS are working more or less for DHL. It looks like DHL is the biggest winner from all these transformations. If it's true the good part will be the good folks of CHI will not lose their jobs. Darn germans....I tought we kicked their asses twice.

All well and good countbat, but DHL doesn't control the ABX group and the ACMI terms under which ABX works for DHL are risible. True that all the smaller non UPS/FedEx carriers are amalgamating, but I'm not certain it's to DHL's benefit. In many ways, the opportunity for DHL to cheaply attain control has passed.

I wonder if they will attempt to put the ANA flying under the CHI certificate? Since it's a relatively small operation at this point. Have the ABX/DHL certificate, the CHI certificate with the 76's in KIX and the ATI certificate for BAX. This will get interesting indeed.

It would be really hard to get another certiicate approved to operate out of Japan. The JAB will not even let ABX add the third aircraft at this time. It took an act of God just to get approval for Abx to run the two aircraft now!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back