• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to furlough 178 more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Calling TWA pilots new hires is a joke. New hires don't come with aircraft.

stlflyguy

That is not the point nor is it what the arbitrator meant by his ruling. The basic logic of his ruling is that you cannot create positions and then bypass Letter 3 by placing junior pilots on the seniority list in those positions. Any other ruling would have negated the prior contractual obligations as well as seniority.

Calling TWA pilots new hires is a joke. New hires don't come with aircraft.

stlflyguy

For all you guys involved in this supp W letter 3 stuff, let me ask you this; would things have worked out a lot better if the healthy airlines back in 2000-2001 just let TWA die via Chapter 7, because thats where they were ultimately headed, and just have picked up the TWA assets and routes in a fire sale? Then there wouldn't be all this fuss about whether they should have been considered a new hire or not. It would then be quite clear! AA must be kicking themselves over that purchase.

Woulda coulda shoulda. It was a great deal....... right up until 9/11 and the ensuing dismantling of commercial aviation.

Gup

For all you guys involved in this supp W letter 3 stuff, let me ask you this; would things have worked out a lot better if the healthy airlines back in 2000-2001 just let TWA die via Chapter 7, because thats where they were ultimately headed, and just have picked up the TWA assets and routes in a fire sale? Then there wouldn't be all this fuss about whether they should have been considered a new hire or not. It would then be quite clear! AA must be kicking themselves over that purchase.

I would have been better. Why everyone gets a big hard-on and not just go in and pick up the pieces in liquidation, is beyond me. I'm sure AMR won't do it again.

At the time, they obviously wanted it ALL. But I have no doubt they could have gotten just the pieces they wanted at the Chapter 7 hearing since they had the money.

For all you guys involved in this supp W letter 3 stuff, let me ask you this; would things have worked out a lot better if the healthy airlines back in 2000-2001 just let TWA die via Chapter 7, because thats where they were ultimately headed, and just have picked up the TWA assets and routes in a fire sale?
If you were actually smart enough to predict the exact moment of an airline's death you'd be far too wealthy to be just an airline pilot. TWA's financial problems notwithstanding it's pure speculation to say if or how soon it would've liquidated.
AA must be kicking themselves over that purchase.
No, they're just kicking their pilots.

That is not the point nor is it what the arbitrator meant by his ruling. The basic logic of his ruling is that you cannot create positions and then bypass Letter 3 by placing junior pilots on the seniority list in those positions. Any other ruling would have negated the prior contractual obligations as well as seniority.

Apparently contractual obligations are not important to the Eaglets when it isn't in their favor, or more than 800 furloughed AMERICAN AIRLINES pilots would have been allowed to flow back to Eagle.

Why doesn't AMR just bag the entire AE operation, sell it off, then put out the feed for bid?

1. Nobody wants to buy an airline consisting mostly of obsolete aircraft (50 seat RJs).

2. Farming out feed is restricted by the AA pilots' scope provisions.

3. Regardless of the cost, management is determined to use AE against the AA pilots.

Apparently contractual obligations are not important to the Eaglets when it isn't in their favor, or more than 800 furloughed AMERICAN AIRLINES pilots would have been allowed to flow back to Eagle.

The arbitration decision did not take into account the intent of the language. The idiot that decided this weasel-worded, parsed, and tortured the interpretation to say that some TWA pilots were "new hires" just because that hadn't been technically moved to the AA certificate. It's patently absurd because these pilots did not go through a hiring process and were being paid by AA all along.

With regards to the AE pilots, it might very well turn out to be a "be careful what you wish for" deal.

Latest resources

Back