AA liquidation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my thinking..

The lower the wages and work rules, the more easily it will be to replace.. (although in this economy it's always a crapshoot)

Factor in those who are destined to be furloughed again, and those who are close enough to retirement age, a majority of AA pilots "may" have nothing to really lose by really fighting this scam of a deal.

I doubt there will be enough participants to truly destroy managaments game plan, but maybe enough to cause a rather large disruption. AA management can either sacrifice some money to the employees, or sacrifice a lot of money to cancelled flights, pissed off passengers and a really bad public relations nighmare

Amen, and if the guys at the top of the union pyramid scheme don't fight for those guys at the bottom of the pyramid.....well, they deserve whatever crap comes their way.

Is a wild cat strike legal ?

My Dad was involved in a wild cat strike back in 1959 with American Airlines. I was in the baby buggy rolling the strike line with him at Midway airport back then. That's when ALPA wanted to throw the Professional Flight Engineers out of the Cockpit in favor of a PILOT in the Engineer seat. He got the same Western Union letter for 14 days in a row stating he would never work for American again if he didn't come back. Dad ended up going back when the strike was finished and they signed a tri-part agreement and he finished up with 47 years with American. Legal, maybe not but it worked!

Wildcat strike, sure it's not legal. OTOH, if the contracts gets gutted, then people should be allowed to walk out, fair is fair.

If the President can stop a strike, even a legal one through a PEB, then he should also be allowed to intervene on behalf of the employees.

Yeah, I know!

Last edited:
My Dad was involved in a wild cat strike back in 1959 with American Airlines. I was in the baby buggy rolling the strike line with him at Midway airport back then. That's when ALPA wanted to throw the Professional Flight Engineers out of the Cockpit in favor of a PILOT in the Engineer seat. He got the same Western Union letter for 14 days in a row stating he would never work for American again if he didn't come back. Dad ended up going back when the strike was finished and they signed a tri-part agreement and he finished up with 47 years with American. Legal, maybe not but it worked!

I like your story, but your Dad got hired at 13yrs old at AA? just doin the napkin math on 60-47=...

help me out here. He retired at 60 then spend say, 10yrs in the school house? managment? Just tryin to clarify.

Dude, I'm sorry, disreguard. Never, ever ruin a good story with the truth!!

I like your story, but your Dad got hired at 13yrs old at AA? just doin the napkin math on 60-47=...

help me out here. He retired at 60 then spend say, 10yrs in the school house? managment? Just tryin to clarify.

Dude, I'm sorry, disreguard. Never, ever ruin a good story with the truth!!

I doubt he is lying .

I am sure after age 60 , JS dad went back to flying as a FE. Hence the long tenure . FedEx has some that look like they are 100 and still sitting as FE

Don't count all your chickens folks. There is a long line of furloughed/underemployed 121,fractional (former121) 135, former (121) etc guys on the street due to the 08 economy and most of all the AGE 65 greed!

They would love to get back into the seat they were forced out of and keep the AA moniker flying.......don't sit in your own ivory tower (like management) and discount the civil discourse towards the unions and thier agendas......70k would make most guys mortgage payments just fine.......the geezers need to remember this before they SHOW THEM!!!

! Has really never worked out well for anyone but the owners and the senior managers, who always show up again and do the same thing to the same guys (who for whatever reason never remember history)

IMO....AMR management cannot get the judge to abrogate the contracts. The unions have the deal that LCC will give them and if they can merge and make a go of it with that deal, AMR management will have a tough time making the judge believe the only option is to abrogate their contracts.

Not to mention the large cash balance they have.... the judge would have to believe that the survival of the company is in jeopardy if he doesn't act.

A350

Latest resources

Back