• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA liquidation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Must every thread be about SLI? How's about: Hardly, what's going to happen is a full blown merge with LCC. Hopefully it'll work out for everyone.

See? Was that so hard?

Nothing is going to happen as long as the AMR management team has the exclusive right to put forth a reorganization plan. AMR has enough cash to operate in bankruptcy for a long time and the judge will likely extend their exclusivity period. This could go on for a long time, there may be other interested parties who have not even come forward yet. Getting the unions on board was a good move but Parker will have to do a lot more than that. LCC needs to bring money to the table because they don't bring much else and litigation form the last merger is still out there as well. Nobody has seen a detailed (and funded) merger/aquisition plan yet. I think the creditors other than the unions will need to see the money.

I agree Fam62c, but I don't think Parker will have trouble securing financing. He's run a profitable airline in spite of the labor issues here.

Along those lines, I think Parker's plan was brilliant. He effectively turned all the unionized workers against management without exposing LCC's merger plan for Horton to counter. And while it's true AA has exclusivity, management could be pressed to seek a merger before the September deadline.

As for their cash, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're behind on payments to the pension plan and that when you factor that in, they're pretty much broke.

They'll be studying this one next year at Wharton.

Nothing is going to happen as long as the AMR management team has the exclusive right to put forth a reorganization plan. AMR has enough cash to operate in bankruptcy for a long time and the judge will likely extend their exclusivity period. This could go on for a long time, there may be other interested parties who have not even come forward yet. Getting the unions on board was a good move but Parker will have to do a lot more than that. LCC needs to bring money to the table because they don't bring much else and litigation form the last merger is still out there as well. Nobody has seen a detailed (and funded) merger/aquisition plan yet. I think the creditors other than the unions will need to see the money.

Sir, I am offended. How dare you insert sanity in a FI thread!

To the OP: NFW. I had to put up with a bunch of UAL liquidation threads in our darkest days from foreskin cranium posters.
I would have thought that pilots would wise up by now that liquidation's an unlikely outcome for a major carrier with a bunch of cash entering chap 11. Seriously, you have to be totally clueless to post that AMR's going to be liquidated.
To my AMR brothers and sisters, all the best. This too shall pass.

Sir, I am offended. How dare you insert sanity in a FI thread!

To the OP: NFW. I had to put up with a bunch of UAL liquidation threads in our darkest days from foreskin cranium posters.
I would have thought that pilots would wise up by now that liquidation's an unlikely outcome for a major carrier with a bunch of cash entering chap 11. Seriously, you have to be totally clueless to post that AMR's going to be liquidated.
To my AMR brothers and sisters, all the best. This too shall pass.

Sound advice. I went through a C11 at my airline and I can can say for sure that you will hear numerous scenarios, rumors, predictions etc etc. The only thing you can say for sure is they will all prove to be false. The only thing for certain is AA will still be flying in some way shape or form. Maybe with USAir, maybe not.

Good luck guys, given the average age of the AA pilots, it's most likely going to be one of the quickest upgrades to Captain when the dust settles.

Latest resources

Back