• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Super Hornet's Nest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are old pilots and bold pilots....

Birdstrike said:
.After airport officials got in touch, the Navy convened an evaluation board to consider Webb's conduct. Webb admitted performing the flyby and knowing that it was against the rules. The board also reviewed two other incidents in Webb's past which, in the Navy's view, involved questionable judgment by the aviator.

The statement in bold (by me) is a BIG warning sign. We've seen this sort of thing before...and have tried to squash this stuff. Hot dogging used to be prevalent in the old days. But not anymore for good reason. It's expensive! Not just in public relations!

Shall I bring up some incidents?

B-52 crash in Fairchild AFB
T-6A crash in Georgia
AH-64 crash in Texas
F-16 ANG crash in Texas

I could go on. All these incidents were not accidents because of mechanical failure, nor pilot error due to normal operations. They all were deliberate attempts at putting the aircraft outside the envelope, "shining your ass" for an impromtu air show. And they ALL resulted in dead aviators and destroyed aircraft.

For those who think that today's military climate has decreased the aggressiveness of combat pilots, ask any of the active guys here. Sure, the "queep" and "haze" of the ground crap has grown quite a bit, and sometimes peacetime or stateside rules can chafe...but when it comes time to get the job done, they get it done with the skill, resourcefulness, and aggressiveness necessary.

Shining your ass to impress your friends, to be a mentor, someone to look up to? Trust me, to the majority of family and friends, a standard tactical aircraft overhead is pretty cool to them. You can do this stuff legally as well. Volunteer for an airshow, there are plenty available. Get your friends or family time in a simulator. Plenty of options to be "the cool pilot guy" without getting your wings yanked, or worse, being dead. There are enough opportunites to get killed in military aviation as it is...

This guy was lucky. He was stopped before he hurt himself or someone else. If he's really lucky, he may be able to get back into flying, maybe with a little maturity that will help him out later.

FastCargo

Can fighter pilots still get drunk, openly gamble, play crud, and sing filthy jodies in the bar anymore? Or are those days gone forever now that women are in the game?
No, no, no (thankfully for my Air Force victims), and no. As long as you do a clearing turn in the bar/ready room/etc.... women have no effect, yeah right.

If what was written is true (500 kts in a Class D), he's lucky he didn't kill himself or someone else.
And to think, all those carrier breaks in class D. I'm grounding myself. Damn Navy cowboys!

schoolio said:
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that the Navy is excess on fighter pilots...Anybody know how true that is?
As of last week, the Navy suspended NROTC commissioning at my son's school, VMI, for all except scholarship cadets. Anyone not under contract pursuing a Navy commission has to go the OCS route now. I don't know if they're doing this nationally or just selectively.

Birdstrike said:
As of last week, the Navy suspended NROTC commissioning at my son's school, VMI, for all except scholarship cadets. Anyone not under contract pursuing a Navy commission has to go the OCS route now. I don't know if they're doing this nationally or just selectively.

Well, the USAF is cutting over 4000 officers, mostly from the 2002-2003 commissionees, so it seems like the excess isn't limited to a single branch of the service.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Class D the article is referring to is a civilian class D as opposed to a navy controlled field.
No sh*t Sherlock, can't sneak one by you. It was a good natured interservice jab, Hopeless.

This guy is lucky they didn't shoot him instead of just pulling his wings. His type of behavior has been well beyond acceptable since before I earned my wings in 1983.

I hope he's miserable and never finds employment in aviation again.

He's an idiot.

Guinness
"Hornets Over Kuwait"

Latest resources

Back