• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

9E Wins Race to Bottom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I feel your pain. Colgan pilots with 1/2 my longevity are senior to me. Pinnacle pilots hired in 06-the same.

This is off topic but, I'm a mid 06 Pinnacle guy and I have 07 Mesaba guy in front of me. Not all 06 Pinnacle got lucky as you think.

The difference is that mainline Maddogs are all paid off. Just like the DC9s at NWA, now Delta. They are fully paid off, so it actually is "worth it" to keep flying them. RJs are leased through banks and require monthly payments. There's the big difference, it isn't bag fees or other ancilliary revenue.

The difference is that mainline Maddogs are all paid off. Just like the DC9s at NWA, now Delta. They are fully paid off, so it actually is "worth it" to keep flying them. RJs are leased through banks and require monthly payments. There's the big difference, it isn't bag fees or other ancilliary revenue.

Not disagreeing here, since there are plenty of aircraft---both mainlines and regional---that are on leases, but who says that there aren't any CRJs flying about that weren't paid for in cash as well?

Not disagreeing here, since there are plenty of aircraft---both mainlines and regional---that are on leases, but who says that there aren't any CRJs flying about that weren't paid for in cash as well?

I think there are hardly any in the DCI system flying around fully paid for. My understanding is that an overwhelming majority are all leased and paid for monthly.

I think there are hardly any in the DCI system flying around fully paid for. My understanding is that an overwhelming majority are all leased and paid for monthly.

You're right; an overwhelming majority are. It's the same at any airline, but there's always going to be some frames that are outright owned, but that number is for the bean counters. Also, It's often cheaper just to outright buy previously used (lovingly owned?) frames, and lease the engines---if the price is right. Many of the old BR frames were like that, and allow an airline to lower their overall cost, whether they fly for DLC, UAX, AE, etc., or not.

Delta was trying desperately to get Comair to agree to this level of wage reduction before they shut them down (wouldn't have changed their course). Comair pilots held the line until the end. That will be remembered.

Until the next shut-down.

Latest resources

Back