• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2013 L-CAL System Bid Out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's anyone's guess. UAL furloughees have up to 10 years after being furloughed to return, so the earliest anyone has to return is late 2018. It's my understanding that the classes are now a mix of returning furloughees and previous poolies.
I imagine that they'll run out of both in the not-too-distant future.

Apply. Update. Network.
Competitive numbers are a moving target and they're going to decline quickly now that we have age 65 retirements.

Ok. I was a furloughee in 2003 and bypassed 1 recall and then when they got to me again I had to either return to UAL or resign.....Has something changed for recalls?? 10 year recall was not an option back then....

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much. I have refrained from looking at sUAL staffing until now; I have sort of allowed myself to think this was going to be called off. What I've come up with is that it's impossible to guess what to bid.

FWIW guys: I was awarded an LTVRF. I felt it was really important to mitigate furloughs. I fly with some members of the 1437 and the voluntary furloughs at UAL. Not sure if I'm correct, but it seems to me it was a lot less important to UAL ALPA leadership to get the furlough numbers reduced.

Bid what ever you want. I don't really like widebody flying so i will be staying put for now. I have flown the 777 and the 747 and didn't like either. on the 747 I flew mostly as the flying f/o. That position went junior to the bunkie as their trips were 3 or 4 day trips depending on the destination while the flying f/o flew 6 day trips. For now i see why it's hard to judge now as we have no SLI.

As for your 2nd paragraph i am not going there. UALALPA and CALALPA had their weak moments. None of it matters anymore. CAL is gone, LUAL is gone, what's the point in rehashing all this old BS. At this point I am just waiting on the arbitrators decision on the SLI. At that point I will just press on and never look back.

Thanks! Didn't realize we had access to that. Just looked over some of it. Holy crap this is going to be a big airline.

Actually the United of 2013 is not much bigger than the UAL of 1999. But I guess L-UAL started downsizing for the merger since 1999!

This is company spin. What else could they possibly say. Do you really believe all the crap that either UAL or CAL or practically any other company puts out?

But saying that the CEO, who was about as negative as you could get about merging with UAL, somehow deferred to his underling Smiesck, and allowed him to craft a future plan to merge the two airlines after removing said CEO, ensuring a spot on the BOD for Tilton, parking UAL's unbelievably ancient fleet, and foreseeing that both BOD's and all stockholders would approve it? I think delusional doesn't even begin to cover this.

But saying that the CEO, who was about as negative as you could get about merging with UAL, somehow deferred to his underling Smiesck, and allowed him to craft a future plan to merge the two airlines after removing said CEO, ensuring a spot on the BOD for Tilton, parking UAL's unbelievably ancient fleet, and foreseeing that both BOD's and all stockholders would approve it? I think delusional doesn't even begin to cover this.

See post # 72 paragragh 2

Ok. I was a furloughee in 2003 and bypassed 1 recall and then when they got to me again I had to either return to UAL or resign.....Has something changed for recalls?? 10 year recall was not an option back then....

This was changes in 2008 as part of the furlough agreement as many guys left good jobs when forced to come back. You have 10 years from date of furlough to come back after giving the company 30 days notice once you have bypassed. This assumes they are hiring or recalling. If not you drop off the list.

Chairman

I'd really like an answer to this from a sUAL pilot. You all love to compare your DOH to our bids, BESs and staffing numbers. I listen as you do your Jepps and marvel at all the new destinations (while I'm adding plates to rustbelt sh!tholes). So what's the next bid going to look like guys? Spread some cheer, if you can. Are there any pleasant surprises in the L-UAL system?

Yeah, I know I'm being a bit dramatic about having to go to BUF. I realize that is a stupid complaint.

They got parked for some/any deal. "This" turned out to be the deal that happened, but you were being groomed for ANY eventual merger. You can't project the negative effects onto anybody but yourselves. In fact, you're damn lucky it was us and you ended up wrecking our scope clause. How about by way of apology, you try a little harder to contain your enthusiasm when you look at our bids? Or, explain to us what we can look forward to taking a crack at?

Prior to sUAL parking the entire 737 fleet, UAX was almost contractually maxed...it increased ~1.3% to max following.

Let me get this straight...sCAL pilots have been feeding another ALPA carriers WB fleet (sUAL) for over 3 years and you want them to thank you?

Our WB fleet dwarfs sCALs and was projected to continue with double the WB orders (also 100 likely options)...yeah, you're right, we had nothing to bring to the table presently or in the future. Who carries more pax across the Pacific than sUAL? If being a guppy CAPT on rsv to Mexico is the Apex of a Major Airline Pilot career...then you're right again, we brought nothing new to the table.

Like an previous poster, I too hope you are representing your side in the SLI with your same rationale and have to explain all the obvious manipulations of the process.

I will not apologize but show my level of thanks following SLI by casting my vote for new sUAL reps to run the show.

Last edited:
Prior to sUAL parking the entire 737 fleet, UAX was almost contractually maxed...it increased ~1.3% to max following.

Let me get this straight...sCAL pilots have been feeding another ALPA carriers WB fleet (sUAL) for over 3 years and you want them to thank you?

Our WB fleet dwarfs sCALs and was projected to continue with double the WB orders (also 100 likely options)...yeah, you're right, we had nothing to bring to the table presently or in the future. Who carries more pax across the Pacific than sUAL? If being a guppy CAPT on rsv to Mexico is the Apex of a Major Airline Pilot career...then you're right again, we brought nothing new to the table.

Like an previous poster, I too hope you are representing your side in the SLI with your same rationale and have to explain all the obvious manipulations of the process.

I will not apologize but show my level of thanks following SLI by casting my vote for new sUAL reps to run the show.

Would only be appropriate for the thanks. If you've had us feed you for 3 years, isn't it obvious that your domestic fleet was completely inadequate before we came along? Don't believe it; why the influx of 737's all across your entire network? I know, the whole conspiracy thing to park your aircraft and order ours. Did your MEC ever find out who shot JFK, too?

Most of us looked forward to thanking your pilot group for the new contract we were looking to achieve with staunch unionists and all we got was more of the same sUAL has been living with for more than a decade.

Who carries more paxs across the Atlantic, sUAL or sCAL? Are we really going to start a johnson contest? Assumptions on WB orders are just.

I do enjoy reading your inflated ego of yourself. It makes me realize that sUAL pilots still reminisce about the late 90's way too much and really need to take a step back and realize your not all that.

I hope your new reps do better than the ones that voted for C12. I predict a gain of 2-5% for sCAL pilots but opinions are like elbows....we all have two.

I wanna know who we're merging with next. I mean after all, they're turning our sUAL 757's in to beer cans...so we must be "right-sizing" for something. Right? Right?

Well they've done a real good job so far...

Seriously, I simply want to try and get some insight into what the next bid will look like. I'm not familiar with how the new system works. Everyone has seen how CAL has funtioned up to this point. I get all kinds of questions about IAH or Guam, or any/all kinds CAL related things. I'm not sure 737 CA is the "Apex" of a career, but it sure as hell is something half the sUAL pilots can't wait to get their hands on! Trust me, they aren't shy at about it. The only mystery at this point is what will be available to sCAL pilots out of this deal.

I finally took a glance at the sUAL staffing data, and initially I was encouraged. But that was pretty short lived. I don't think you guys got right sized for a merger. Not at all. I'm afraid sUAL only functions to shrink, park airplanes and furlough pilots. Can you deny that? Or offer a competeing opinion? If you can, let's hear it?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back