• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2013 L-CAL System Bid Out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many are expected to be filled by returning furlough's vs off street?

i went to the ATL job fair and was told by a recruiter that they would be looking for highly qualified candidates with 10,000 hours or greater and that with my time (just below 6,000 total and 1700 PIC turbine) I would not be competitive for two years. The same recruiter laughed at my military service (that I was a Lieutenant) but others at other job fairs did not hear the same thing. Even pilots with no PIC were told how United recently lowered their hiring mins. WHich do I believe? Could I have gotten a bitter apple of a recruiter at a job fair? I talked to a couple of other United recruiters (pilots) at the hotel and they were awesome-as is all the ones I run into at the airport. WHats the real story about competitive numbers for hiring?

i went to the ATL job fair and was told by a recruiter that they would be looking for highly qualified candidates with 10,000 hours or greater and that with my time (just below 6,000 total and 1700 PIC turbine) I would not be competitive for two years. The same recruiter laughed at my military service (that I was a Lieutenant) but others at other job fairs did not hear the same thing. Even pilots with no PIC were told how United recently lowered their hiring mins. WHich do I believe? Could I have gotten a bitter apple of a recruiter at a job fair? I talked to a couple of other United recruiters (pilots) at the hotel and they were awesome-as is all the ones I run into at the airport. WHats the real story about competitive numbers for hiring?

Networking, like your doing... It's just that simple

Have you ever flown with anyone currently flying for either LUAL or LCAL?

How many are expected to be filled by returning furlough's vs off street?

That's anyone's guess. UAL furloughees have up to 10 years after being furloughed to return, so the earliest anyone has to return is late 2018. It's my understanding that the classes are now a mix of returning furloughees and previous poolies.
I imagine that they'll run out of both in the not-too-distant future.

Apply. Update. Network.
Competitive numbers are a moving target and they're going to decline quickly now that we have age 65 retirements.

I went to the Miami FAPA job fair and talked to Captain Marc Champion (United) for about 15 minutes. He reviewed my resume and was very positive, kind and professional. Never mentioned anything about competitive minimums. CV did say in the stand up portion that United had lowered the minumums to give everybody an opportunity to apply.

I would suggest you not put too much stock into one person's opinion. You have very good qualifications. keep up the good work things are changing. The glass is no longer half empty...

FWIW: Went into the CPO with a resume the other day and was advised we are not doing that anymore (not like CAL used to). The UAL pilot side wants an equal hand in it, which is understandable. And in fact both L-UAL and L-CAL pilots want the process to resemble the CAL way of pilots hiring pilots. However, there is an effort the UAL HR people are making to go back to the less popular [despised] way it was done 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back