• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The captain who couldn't fly a visual approach and had to be sent back to training? The one requiring extra sim time and still couldn't get out of IOE? The one who went through a fast track program at ASA without an interview because of a personal phone call from Skip Barnette...Who she happened to work for at Delta in PR who later transferred to ASA as CEO? The one with the less than stellar reputation from just about every captain she's flown with at ASA?

How is she qualified exactly? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact shes a female, attractive, a minority, a former Delta employee???

I'm all for networking, etc.....but this girl is not very qualified for a flying position. Enjoy and good luck.

I've flown with this Captain in general aviation and at ASA. She has no issues flying and is down to earth, that's not an issue to me.

I'm asking about the FO. You know, the one with 10 hours of heavy Seminole PIC, a fraction of experience and a lot of attitude. Did this FO get hired at DAL?

What are the difference between "Let's 4-1-0 it dude!" in a CRJ and "Hey ya'll, watch this barrel roll" in a B-52?

Nothing really, when you think about it - both gross errors in judgment by folks that really should have known better that resulted in a loss of lives and an airframe. And unfortunately, there's no age, longevity, flight hour, or type of aircraft that cuts one off from making gross errors in judgment when they really should know better...

How about people have just a little respect the varied backgrounds of the professionals that fly for a living, be their background in an RJ or a 747 or a F18 or a Learjet or a C130 or a Beech 99?

But just for curiosity's sake - have there been any folks hired at Delta this go-round with a business aviation (charter/corporate/frax) background?

A third of the newhires this year had Master's Degrees and one had a PhD.. Whatever will Yip say about that?

I hate to be a buzz kill in the middle of a good 'ol fashioned FI dick measuring contest, but the first post to state that one group isn't any better than the other, just different, wins the thread.
In 10 years of training and checking both groups in the airline environment, neither group sticks out as being better or worse at the airliner game than the other. Each group brings into the mix it's own unique assets and liabilities. The raw meat goes into the grinder from all different directions, but the sausage still comes out the other side in identical homogeneous links.

A third of the newhires this year had Master's Degrees and one had a PhD.. Whatever will Yip say about that?

He'll find that one Compass FO who got on without a degree and will now flow, akin to Charlie in Willy Wonka finding the golden wrapper, and flaunt that.

Masters and PhD who really gives a rip, can they deal with nasty wx, bitcy FA's, and broken airplanes and still get everyone to their destination EVERY time without a hickup?

As far as 2000 hr wonder pilots, yes we had one in our class and I guess they pushed the reset button till the damn thing was almost worn out so SHE could get
used to visual approaches...I also heard the check ride was "close", but she can make
a mean Meatloaf. In my opinion, get to the back of the line and give a call when you are qualified honey. If you get on an airlplane and the pilot is a white male, in shape, and clean cut you know he was not given any slack when he was hired and probably has his sh*t together. If you get on a flight and there are two women pilots that look like they could work at Hooters get the F^ck off the plane and re-list on the next flight. Just calling it how I see it. JP

Because there have never been any low time white males hired anywhere....

You guys are ridiculous.

I just can't feel sorry for white males in this career- we comprise well over 80% of our ranks.

You all should ask yourself why you're so concerned about female and minority flyers...

And save the old "but I know about this one girl or black guy, and (s)he did.... Blah blah blah-

Latest resources

Back