200 KIAS below class "B"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matthewjohn

We all know the rule. the airspace I am interested in particularly is TEB. Arriving on he Jaike One you are kept in class B airspace if you are at 3000 and NW or 1800 most other places I believe (you can look at the 10-1 in the Jepps to see where I am talking about). Once you are vectored off the arrival the requirement to advise ATC of speed less than 250 is not technically required (but probably still a good idea), so When you are vectored and given a descent below one of the applicable class B floor altitudes without assigned a speed by ATC, is ATC expecting you to slow to 200 kt?!?!

Last edited:
They should expect it as it is required by FAR's. Same as slowing to 250 below 10,000. In either case no ATC call is REQUIRED. If you choose to let them know, no harm no foul.

Atlanta is the only place especially coming into PDK where they will nail you for speed but I am sure there are others

Getting "nailed" wouldn't be my only concern -- not rear-ending a light airplane who's deliberately flying under the Class B would be high on my list, too.

There was an article in Professional Pilot a few months back that a pilot wrote(sorry the month is escaping me, maybe FEB?). He basically was putting up some great reasons why that rule should be abolished. He talked about how it is a "pitfall" in places like New York...

Atlanta is not the only place they'll 'nail' you.

HPN arrivals have been nailed, and some LGB controllers actually enjoy 'nailing' pilots.

Unable, too busy.

I wrote about this on the Company web site; I'm in full agreement. This rule, as applied to jets and other IFR airplanes, sucks. We as pilots, need to communicate the central problem with compliance with this rule: We are unable to monitor our exact Class B position at all times during our arrival. (And that's in a modern "glass" airplane like the CL-300. I don't know how the Lear 25 guys ever have a chance.)

We can pre-plan for an arrival, but any unexpected altitude change or vector wipes out what we planned to do. (And we never know when controllers are going to descend us. It's usually after we pass Cherokee 61 Foxtrot.)

If nothing else, the arrival into any of the Class B areas is the time when our attention should be paid to looking for traffic -- to say nothing of checklist completion, monitoring the frequency, consulting the approach plate, and that passenger who got up to get one last drink.

I have suggested to my co-workers we ask for a specific speed assignment at some point on the approach. If the controllers would do us the favor of assigning a speed, then we can maintain an efficient flow of traffic and stay out of legal trouble. Otherwise, they can expect me to ask: "Does this take me under Class B" at the busiest time of their day. I am more than willing to demonstrate to the feds that this is unworkable.

Until the politicians get their head out, that's the best that we mortals can do.

Last edited:
Guys, it isn't hard to figure out when you are below class B. Pull out the chart from Book 1 in your jepps and use some situational awareness.

Latest resources

Back