• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

200 KIAS below class "B"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just exempt IFR traffic from the stupid rule. It's real simple.
Or nearly as simple.....keep track of where you're at. It's really not that hard. Remember that RMI thingy...points right at stuff. That and those little numbers (DME) and you know right where you are at. Nuff said.

You'd think that as a bunch of supposed professional pilots, we would not be having a discussion about not being able to keep track of where you are at. Wouldn't fly at the PVT level on a checkride, you'd think that a bunch of ATP's would be able to pull it off using advanced equipment in a crew environment. Pretty embarassing really.

I was being vectored into TEB one evening from the Wilkes Barre (SP?) arrival. We were at 3000' MSL about 10 out from TEB. I slowed to 200 fearing not only being under class B, but being below 2500' within 4 nm of any airport. ATC asked why I had slowed down and I told them the reasons. He couldn't really say anything but you could hear the attitude in his voice as he had to slow down several aircraft behind us. No doubt had we collided with someone, or anyother problem, I would have been at fault.

Class B's are not always just "rings." Some have straight lines that make it impossible to determine with your little 10-1a chart, unless you have one of those moving maps that displays airspace.
Regs apart, not all Class B's are the same. Some facilities scream at you if you slow and then some scream at you if you do not slow.
Just like on the highway, going with the flow is the safest thing to do, not the posted 55mph.

Or nearly as simple.....keep track of where you're at. It's really not that hard. Remember that RMI thingy...points right at stuff. That and those little numbers (DME) and you know right where you are at. Nuff said.

You'd think that as a bunch of supposed professional pilots, we would not be having a discussion about not being able to keep track of where you are at. Wouldn't fly at the PVT level on a checkride, you'd think that a bunch of ATP's would be able to pull it off using advanced equipment in a crew environment. Pretty embarassing really.

Have you ever flown into LAX?

It is a little complicated, if you're doing the LVZ.3 everyone seems to do 250 until you more or less get close to the airport. The first shelf of the B from the west is a 3000 foot shelf so any time you're at 3000 you're doing 250. Lower than 3000 and you have to use a little common sense. The LVZ.3 asks that you tell them if you can't do 250 as well I believe.

My question would be, "What are you doing enroute?" Aren't you studying your destination and the surrounding airspace well prior to arriving?

yep, Atlanta asked one of our pilots flying a Citation the other day for his speed while being vectored on the Mikee arrival. He said 250 and the controller said he should be doing 200. Next time I go in there I will make sure to ask the controllers lots of questions.

This does suck for all the reasons everyone mentioned, plus we didn't ask or want to fly below the class B. ATC put us there!

Hey LJ that sucks. Sorry for your buddy. Atlanta is probably more responsible for this discussion than any other facility.

Wouldn't it be simple to just publish:

"Cross MIKEE at 200 kts"

This could be published for all arrivals to satellite airports, but the guy in the checkered pants would rather leave confusion in the operations. Nothing like promoting flight safety!

well I found an out...at least for the Learjet 45

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).
(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Turbulent penetration speed is 250 Kt for the Lear 45...It is always bump at those altitudes so it is necessary to fly at that speed.

Gotcha ;-)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back