200 KIAS below class "B"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No KSU does not understand!

How does one determine the border of Class B airspace when it's a road? IMC?

What about class B boundaries that are defined by distance from an airport, rather than a VOR?

What about lines that are undefined (the "connector" between EWR and LGA Class B's, the line southeast of CLT Class B)?

Further, how do you do this, and remain ready/tuned/identified for your approach?

Impress me with your wisdom guys.

then it's time to find another gig.

Yeah, working on it.

But I got to agree with many others here that determining where that evasive little blue line is would contribute greatly to the workload. Near impossible in most situations. Flying bare bones and outdated avionics in an old Lear with a low time copilot only compounds the problem. It would be nice if they would just apply that rule to VFR aircraft only or delete it all together.

We use Jepps so we do have a rough idea about what's going on. We just use the highest altittude in the area and keep slowed down when operating below that area. I've never had a controller complain when we have slowed to 200kts. I have had complaints when we haven't slowed. Specifically LAX, LGB, SNA area.

We have flown into PWK and Chicago has told us on several occasions to pick the speed back up to 250kts when below Class B.

We have a Garmin 530 in our Citation which allows us to see the boundaries but I agree with most of the guys on here, there needs to be a change to this rule. As said before, how can a person determine where the boundary is at when it is a river or road and you are in the clouds.

speaking from experience, you can still get a letter if the controller asks you pick it back up to 250, the controller will also get a letter in his box. Controllers can be monitored or given a "checkride" from a supervisor who is sitting in his office on the other side of the building. There are no letters of agreement between ATC facilities or exceptions to the FAR restricting 250 below a Bravo shelf.

If a road or other geographic landmark is a border, like Orlando, it's a lot harder to determine your position if in IMC. I've had that happen to me departing Orlando Exec to the west. However, my JAX center friends have told me that when in doubt, you can literally just ask if you are below the shelf or not.

You must not fly into Class B very often.... Slow down and you will get yelled at. They expect you to do 250.

My comment wasn't clear. I was referring to operating below Class B and with in the lateral limits. No controller should expect you to exceed 200 kts at that point. And I operate in and out of Class B daily.

Latest resources

Back