• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

200 KIAS below class "B"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are bored like I am right now...take a look at the class B chart and imagine taking off out of PDK and be vectored to the west as often happens. There is no way using a radial and DME that you can tell if you are in are out between the 60 and 80 foot levels.

As long as we don't get letters from the FAA I could care less, but if they try to bust people on this we need to get this fixed ASAP.

Why not just do the easy thing and fly at 200 KIAS until clear of all Class B?

If you start at the center, the time difference for 200 and 250 KIAS is a 1.5 minutes. PDX is probably 30 seconds, if that.

Why knowingly violate an FAR for a savings of 30 seconds? That's just lazy.

Why not just do the easy thing and fly at 200 KIAS until clear of all Class B?

If you start at the center, the time difference for 200 and 250 KIAS is a 1.5 minutes. PDX is probably 30 seconds, if that.

Why knowingly violate an FAR for a savings of 30 seconds? That's just lazy.

Why don't you try that for a while and get back to us on how that worked out for you. Do it out of New York, Atlanta, and Los Angles...etc

In a high performance jet of course.

LOL

Been there, done that in a Lear 35, 45 and Citation I(ok not high performance by any standard). Never heard a peep.

Why not answer the question? Why would you knowingly violate and FAR for a minute time savings.

Been there, done that in a Lear 35, 45 and Citation I(ok not high performance by any standard). Never heard a peep.

Why not answer the question? Why would you knowingly violate and FAR for a minute time savings.

Next time you don't see a speed limit sign on the interstate for a few miles, why don't you slow down to 45 mph?

The answer is a jet is made to go fast! ;-)

Otherwise, they can expect me to ask: "Does this take me under Class B" at the busiest time of their day. I am more than willing to demonstrate to the feds that this is unworkable.

I've had NY Center/Approach tell me "you can go as fast as you want....I don't think anyone will say anything." Well, that's his opinion. It will be the next frequency's controller or the FAA guy drinking beer at home while surfing on FlightAware that will nail you.

We only have Nos (or Naco? Government issue anyway) approach plates and IFR low/ high charts. No VFR charts or AFDs. How am I supposed to know when I'm under a shelf? Seriously, I could use some advise here.

We only have Nos (or Naco? Government issue anyway) approach plates and IFR low/ high charts. No VFR charts or AFDs. How am I supposed to know when I'm under a shelf? Seriously, I could use some advise here.

Terminal Area Charts.

Terminal Area Charts.
I don't think you understand. We only carry IFR charts and plates.

If there are guys flying into ATL, TEB, LAX and others under IFR and getting violated for flying +200 under B... I'm concerned. I haven't heard of this till now. But if ATC is starting to enforce this BS, I think it may be time to invest in a handheld GPS.

I don't think you understand. We only carry IFR charts and plates.

Pretty sure that applies to most professional aviators.

I believe that KSU does indeed understand and offered some advice you said you needed.

Unless you wanna go the Jepp route, the terminal charts are most likely your best bet. If your company doesn't want to do that, then buy the ones you need for yourself and turn in an expense report. If they won't reimburse you, then it's time to find another gig.

Latest resources

Back