• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1108 Union Leadership Abandons Hostages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a good point. In the end the only ones who truely have a voice are members in good standing.

Members in good standing are the ony ones who can cast a vote for leadership, and for that matter are the only ones who can run for a leadership position and effect change in their union.

Ultimately the only ones voting for or against a CBA will be those who are dedicated enough to pay dues.

Unless the IBT has changed their Constitution or IBT 1108 has changed their Bylaws, FLOPS pilots do not have to be in Good Standing to vote on their first CBA -- it was an exception carved out for Organizing, that allows all newly-organized pilots to vote on their first CBA. The same does not apply to successor agreements, nor does it apply to internal Union elections (for leadership or referendums on issues, such as bylaws), where the voter must be in Good Standing, including being current on dues and dues in arrears.

Unless the IBT has changed their Constitution or IBT 1108 has changed their Bylaws, FLOPS pilots do not have to be in Good Standing to vote on their first CBA -- it was an exception carved out for Organizing, that allows all newly-organized pilots to vote on their first CBA. The same does not apply to successor agreements, nor does it apply to internal Union elections (for leadership or referendums on issues, such as bylaws), where the voter must be in Good Standing, including being current on dues and dues in arrears.

A letter you must have missed

December 31, 2008

Fellow Pilots,

We have received numerous questions from the membership about whether or not members who are not in good standing are permitted to vote in a contract ratification referendum for our first contract. Many of our members have stated that they do not think it’s proper for pilots who have not supported our Union to be able to vote in this referendum, which represents the fruits of the collective solidarity and unity of those pilots who have been supporting our Union.

With that in mind, we asked our attorneys to consider the issue and provide us with a legal opinion concerning this issue. As stated in the attached letter, it is the opinion of our attorneys that Flight Options pilots who are not members in good standing with respect to the payments of dues do not have the right to participate in a ratification vote and, in fact, are prohibited from doing so by both the Local 1108 Bylaws and the International Constitution.

After careful consideration of the opinion letter, the relevant sections of Local 1108’s Bylaws and the International Constitution, the Local 1108 Executive Board concurs that only members in good standing may vote on the contract and will conduct the ratification vote accordingly. We think it’s important that our members understand that the previous interpretation of the Local 1108 Bylaws that purported to allow members not in good standing to vote was made by our predecessors on a previous Executive Board that was made up exclusively of NetJets pilots.

The Executive Board believes that member participation in the referendum is important. Therefore, we strongly recommend that all members who are not in good standing with respect to the payment of dues contact the Local 1108 offices in order to determine how they bring themselves into good standing.

Fraternally,

IBT Local 1108 Executive Board

Looks like a strong arm tactic to me..Funny how they can play hard ball with there own members but dont have the Cojones to stand up to management..

Looks like a strong arm tactic to me..Funny how they can play hard ball with there own members but dont have the Cojones to stand up to management..

No strong arm, just doing what is right.

Every pilot at Flight Options had the choice to pay union dues and become a member.

If you don't pay, you can't play.
If you don't pay, you can't vote.

A letter you must have missed

Yes, I did miss it. Interesting, as I helped rewrite the bylaws.... (a couple years ago). Although, I certainly understand why this is a desirable situation for the leadership and why the President would interpret them this way.

I agree that there should be an equal standard for all, and there should be no exceptions for the koolaide drinkers, but I know about one of the cases that you alluded to, and apparently you don't have all the facts. There are circumstances which makes it very difficult for the union to defend. The only hope that this person might have is to show that he was singled out as a union supporter, because others have done worse and not been disiplined for it. I am not against bringing any of them back, only saying that at least one of them made it difficult, and I think that our leadership is doing what they can. Unfortunately, in this economy they don't have a lot of chips to bargain with.

You are full of $hit. The leadership has a history of standing up to management and it is the Kool Aid drinkers that are lacking in the cajones department.....spineless ass kissing cowards.

What it really means is "only those that intend to vote the way we want them to vote are permitted to vote".

Yeah? Tell me genius, how is the MEC going to dictate who votes for what? There is nothing that the MEC can do to control the votes of members in good standing. Pay your dues, and you can vote no or yes. No matter how much you delude yourselves, non dues-paying slackers will reap the benefits of the MEC's and the negotiating committee's hard work and the IBT's expensive legal resources. What? You want to vote but you don't want to contribute to those that negotiate on your behalf? The point being, pay your dues or STFU.

Both of you are full of it. You have zero basis in fact and are talking out of your asses.

Last edited:
Bullshirt!! This is where I part company with everyone. I know and respect both the MEC and the pilot in question. If he is not a hostage, no one is. If this is the unraveling of everything we’ve fought for, I’ll just say good night and God bless.
I know that’s what I said, but I’ve thought better of it. This brings to mind an old folksy saying that I grew up with. “Stories are like slicing baloney. No matter how thin it’s sliced, there are always 2 sides.” Another witticism is “Never cut off your nose to spite your face.”

And, here’s one from me. “What the hell are you guys thinking?” And, I’m not talking about the principles in this pissin’ contest. I’m talking about the rank and file that is listening to idiot advice from anonymous geniuses, such as don’t pay your dues and quit following the advice of your elected leader.

I know everyone involved and they’re all my friends. I don’t like being in the position of choosing sides, but it looks like I don’t have a choice. So, here goes:

Mat Slinghoff has my support. Mat is not able to respond to every slanderous insult thrown at him. That’s because he’s restrained by confidentiality, ethics, and other mundane stuff that we’re not.

I’ve known Mat for a long time. We were together at the beginning of this drive and even before. All of us were. That’s why it’s so uncomfortable to be in this position. But, still yet, the only choice for me is to back the leader.

And, he is the leader. He may not be the most popular choice, but he is the right choice. His intelligence and intellectual restraint is exactly what we needed then and still need now.

It’s inconceivable that we could come this far and then lose out.

I agree with you to the extent that there are some offenses that exceeds a threshold of defensible...

My point is that regardless of the alleged offense of these hostages they in no way exceed the unprofessional, unsafe, stupid, illegal actions of a management pilot still employed at options.

They should get their jobs back.
And engine plug Ed should lose his - Possibly even his license.

Latest resources

Back