• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1108 Union Leadership Abandons Hostages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
His intelligence and intellectual restraint is exactly what we needed then and still need now.

That is the thing I noticed about Mat from day one, and it is what I like and respect about him. I'd much rather have him at the helm than some of the hot heads that seem to flame up so easily. Slow and steady wins the race.

HS

Stuffing the ballet box.

A letter you must have missed

December 31, 2008

Fellow Pilots,

We have received numerous questions from the membership about whether or not members who are not in good standing are permitted to vote in a contract ratification referendum for our first contract. Many of our members have stated that they do not think it’s proper for pilots who have not supported our Union to be able to vote in this referendum, which represents the fruits of the collective solidarity and unity of those pilots who have been supporting our Union.

With that in mind, we asked our attorneys to consider the issue and provide us with a legal opinion concerning this issue. As stated in the attached letter, it is the opinion of our attorneys that Flight Options pilots who are not members in good standing with respect to the payments of dues do not have the right to participate in a ratification vote and, in fact, are prohibited from doing so by both the Local 1108 Bylaws and the International Constitution.

After careful consideration of the opinion letter, the relevant sections of Local 1108’s Bylaws and the International Constitution, the Local 1108 Executive Board concurs that only members in good standing may vote on the contract and will conduct the ratification vote accordingly. We think it’s important that our members understand that the previous interpretation of the Local 1108 Bylaws that purported to allow members not in good standing to vote was made by our predecessors on a previous Executive Board that was made up exclusively of NetJets pilots.

The Executive Board believes that member participation in the referendum is important. Therefore, we strongly recommend that all members who are not in good standing with respect to the payment of dues contact the Local 1108 offices in order to determine how they bring themselves into good standing.

Fraternally,

IBT Local 1108 Executive Board

You're trusted union speaking and changing the rules to fit their needs.

The fact is that non-paying members don't agree with the union and probably won't go along with the contract vote anyway. By excluding them, the union hides the amount of apathy involved in the vote.

By changing to limit the vote to only members "in good standing", they increase the chances of things going the way they want. It takes fewer votes to ratify or turn down the contract.

It's the union's way of stuffing the ballet box.

What a colossel waste of time, money and effort for nothing gained.

Please give details and sources....or at least the reason you believe this. If you just say stuff and don't back it up, you sound like those idiots B19 and skanza

Speaking of idiots and name calling, good morning to you Waka. I used to back up every claim with documentation and links, but it's not worth it anymore because ignorant posters like you stick your head in the sand and let other people think for you.

The intervention by 1108 has failed miserably. It's over 3 years now, your ranks have shrunk, the economy is so bad that Options pilots are lucky to even have jobs and the company is clearly torn apart with internal turmoil while other fracs have remained stable without the heartburn.

I've repeatedly written that 1108 didn't get it done when they had the chance because they were unreasonable and being baited by the success of the deep pockets of NJ.

It will be interesting to see how the "strong union" aspects will be at NJ when the furloughs start and NJASAP wants to hold the contract line without reopening it.

1108 had clearly damaged the product of Options a lot more than management ever could have. 1108 really needs to be proud of their complete failure and they aren't smart enough to adust to the marketplace.

Pretty much all the preditions I've made have come true, over three years of turmoil, Options is completely stagnated just like NJ was during their contract negotiations and as a result the company is worse off now than before. The pilots are doing nothing but languishing in the failure of 1108.

What a colossel waste of time, money and effort for nothing gained.

I've repeatedly written that 1108 didn't get it done when they had the chance because they were unreasonable and being baited by the success of the deep pockets of NJ.

It will be interesting to see how the "strong union" aspects will be at NJ when the furloughs start and NJASAP wants to hold the contract line without reopening it.

B19 I have nothing against you, I've never insulted you in any way, shape or form. I agree with some of the things you say, and I disagree with some of the things you say.

Unions aside, It's not cool to talk about "when the NJ furloughs begin".....lets talk about the day when you're going to loose your job, or your house, or your retirement (if you're retired). Let's talk about that, see how you like it.

I'm sure NJA owners would love to know Santulli and friends only objective is to get their pilots to fly unsafe airplanes. :)

Seriously are you retarded, or have some sort of disorder that makes you spew ignorant stuff on the message boards???

Your childish absurd accusations about me and my loyalty to this pilots group are nothing more then laughable. I do not have to defend my loyalty or my service and sacrifice to you or anyone else. If it were not for me we would likely not have a union now. Grow up!

Oh but your post is filled with nothing but inaccurate statements.

Lastly ---- I truly hope that you have the opportunity in the future to call my integrity into question to my face.
These are the words of the would be savior of all hostages. Don’t worry, if you are unsure about why the pilot in question should be considered a hostage he’ll tell you. Never mind that the guy was fired because he waited until the 11th hour to write up an airplane in what he has admitted was an attempt to get his co-pilot fired. This hot-head wants the union to expend resources, bargaining credibility and even hold up the contract for this guy?

Keep in mind that this is the same hot-head that spent several years at the bargaining table and was only able to bring in a TA on three, very minor contract sections. Looks to me like he’s just envious of our current leaderships success. Looks to me like even though he was too much of a hot-head to be effective as a negotiator, he now wants us to follow his lead, because he’s some kind of tough guy. Please, I’ll hitch my wagon to cooler heads in this fight. Fact is from what I hear we “likely have a union” in spite of our hot-head,

And you know what? I don’t think it’s really about hostages, I think it’s about our hot-head trying to save face and using this issue to do so. That’s the sad part of this. He would try to torpedo our negotiators ability to get a contract for 360 pilots all so he can save face. Nice work partner, if you keep it up, maybe we can all talk about how well thought of you are, in line at the unemployment office.

These are the words of the would be savior of all hostages. Don’t worry, if you are unsure about why the pilot in question should be considered a hostage he’ll tell you. Never mind that the guy was fired because he waited until the 11th hour to write up an airplane in what he has admitted was an attempt to get his co-pilot fired. This hot-head wants the union to expend resources, bargaining credibility and even hold up the contract for this guy?

Keep in mind that this is the same hot-head that spent several years at the bargaining table and was only able to bring in a TA on three, very minor contract sections. Looks to me like he’s just envious of our current leaderships success. Looks to me like even though he was too much of a hot-head to be effective as a negotiator, he now wants us to follow his lead, because he’s some kind of tough guy. Please, I’ll hitch my wagon to cooler heads in this fight. Fact is from what I hear we “likely have a union” in spite of our hot-head,

And you know what? I don’t think it’s really about hostages, I think it’s about our hot-head trying to save face and using this issue to do so. That’s the sad part of this. He would try to torpedo our negotiators ability to get a contract for 360 pilots all so he can save face. Nice work partner, if you keep it up, maybe we can all talk about how well thought of you are, in line at the unemployment office.

Sport I don't really give a damn what you think of me. But you might want to get your facts straight.

Amen!

B19 I have nothing against you, I've never insulted you in any way, shape or form. I agree with some of the things you say, and I disagree with some of the things you say.

Unions aside, It's not cool to talk about "when the NJ furloughs begin".....lets talk about the day when you're going to loose your job, or your house, or your retirement (if you're retired). Let's talk about that, see how you like it.

OK, let's talk about it. You want to talk about "the day", but it's a more accurate statement to talk about "both days". I've been there, walked it and lived it. I have a lot of empathy when any employee is laid off.

The first time I was laid off was directly as a result of a union action. The second time I was laid of was the direct result of a union inaction.

There are no unions where I am now, and the company can and has adjusted to the economy. I have no fears of layoffs/furloughs, and that goes with all of the other employees because the overall health of the company is the concern of the employees rather than what one particular work group demands over another.

I don't want to see anybody get laid off or lose their jobs, but if they are supporting a union that places the welfare of their work group over that of the entire company, then they get exactly what they deserve.

And thank you, there are a handful of you that haven't taken the time to insult me and that's appreciated.

Of course, the biggest offender and perpertrator of insults hasn't posted in quite some time. But I'm sure she lurks amongst us still.

Latest resources

Back