• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1108 Union Leadership Abandons Hostages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me start by saying I was a big Union supporter when I was there..
However lets pay our dues and follow the weak leadership blindly into bankruptcy..That makes perfect sense..Some people just are not able to think for themselves..Guess some people need something to believe in regardless..Flops 1108 had a strong leader..that is clearly no longer the case..From what I hear most pilots are fed up with the Union as well as management. (I am not a B19 or Scumza that thinks management is gonna saves all of you) The pilots have sent a message to Flops when they voted in the Union..Now they need to send a message to the Union..at least they might have a decent pay wage for a few months before HIG drops the hammer..

Don't lose sight of the prize. I am going to go out on a limb here and predict we will have a contract soon or flops will be one of the 9,000-12,000 businesses filing bankruptcy in 2009. Fly the pledge and pay your dues.

What prize are you talking about? Wake up from your dream. If you think we are getting any payraise when this is finished, your nuts. Turn on your television dude, it isn't going to happen.

Substantiation

Here is one email from a string sent to many Flight Options pilots:

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Mat Slinghoff <[email protected]> wrote:

[ex-flops pilot],

On several occasions we have approached senior management, including the new administration, on behalf of all the pilots, you included, who were terminated for various reasons since the Union was voted in. We were successful in getting one terminated pilot reinstated, while another terminated pilot settled his dispute with the company. That settlement did not include his reinstatement. Management has made it clear they have no interest in returning the remaining terminated pilots to employment at Flight Options under any circumstances. I am sorry, but their is nothing further we can do on your behalf at this company.

Mat

if all else fails call the "SHAMWOW" guy to negotiate for ya.....

We already thought of that, but it turns out that he's related to Ricci !

Rotten!

You have nothing better to do? Negativity, complaining, that's all you are capable!

I do not see you trying to get involved and
coming up with solutions, taking up a leadership role and attempting to make the changes you are so eager to mouth!

The union is not perfect. Remember, everyone there is volunteering. You are complaining about it but what would have been if we had zero representation?
I bet the furloughed would have been the higher salaries and seniority would have meant crap. Just like at Shares and XO Jet. That captain that got fired? Even he got due process with a steward right beside him even though his file was 10 inches thick of his own doing. There are and have been hostages; he is not one of them!

Come on! Act like a decent person, come and help instead of throwing more gasoline into the fire. We all know how cohesive we need to me right now.

You have nothing better to do? Negativity, complaining, that's all you are capable!

I do not see you trying to get involved and
coming up with solutions, taking up a leadership role and attempting to make the changes you are so eager to mouth!

The union is not perfect. Remember, everyone there is volunteering. You are complaining about it but what would have been if we had zero representation?
I bet the furloughed would have been the higher salaries and seniority would have meant crap. Just like at Shares and XO Jet. That captain that got fired? Even he got due process with a steward right beside him even though his file was 10 inches thick of his own doing. There are and have been hostages; he is not one of them!

Come on! Act like a decent person, come and help instead of throwing more gasoline into the fire. We all know how cohesive we need to me right now.

Bullshirt!! This is where I part company with everyone. I know and respect both the MEC and the pilot in question. If he is not a hostage, no one is. If this is the unraveling of everything we’ve fought for, I’ll just say good night and God bless.

O.K. narrow mind, you sufficiently pi$$ed me off so I'll bite. First of all I don't watch tv as I have better things to do with my time. Secondly, this is not the only thing I am capable of doing to put food on the table. I will define what the PRIZE means to me.

The PRIZE is banishing an unconscionable management team

The PRIZE is shutting down a company that wishes to subsidize its operations with pilots wages

The PRIZE is running into a fellow brother in arms ten years from now and looking him/her in the eye with the full respect we took a stand and fought long and hard side by side to make things better

The PRIZE is looking back with the self pride I took in ensuring that the precious cargo I had on board (our owners) were flying on an airplane that was fit for flight while our management would have them flying on one that was not

The PRIZE is not living life with FEAR as the determining factor of my thoughts, deeds, and actions

The Prize is sending a message to management that we know the position we are in as a company and will do what is required of us, however we will not be compensated less than a competitor flying a turbo-prop

The situation that currently faces the company and the union is ripe for a catastrophic conclusion, but bailing out on the union is at best a cop out. You better be prepared for the doors to close tomorrow. The ball is now in the companies court. If they want another war then it is war they will have. If they choose to seek a fair and peacefull resolution then they will have the full support of every line pilot union or not. Time will soon tell my friend, as for now Mat and the negotiating commitee has my full support.

O.K. narrow mind, you sufficiently pi$$ed me off so I'll bite. First of all I don't watch tv as I have better things to do with my time. Secondly, this is not the only thing I am capable of doing to put food on the table. I will define what the PRIZE means to me.

The PRIZE is banishing an unconscionable management team

The PRIZE is shutting down a company that wishes to subsidize its operations with pilots wages

The PRIZE is running into a fellow brother in arms ten years from now and looking him/her in the eye with the full respect we took a stand and fought long and hard side by side to make things better

The PRIZE is looking back with the self pride I took in ensuring that the precious cargo I had on board (our owners) were flying on an airplane that was fit for flight while our management would have them flying on one that was not

The PRIZE is not living life with FEAR as the determining factor of my thoughts, deeds, and actions

The Prize is sending a message to management that we know the position we are in as a company and will do what is required of us, however we will not be compensated less than a competitor flying a turbo-prop

The situation that currently faces the company and the union is ripe for a catastrophic conclusion, but bailing out on the union is at best a cop out. You better be prepared for the doors to close tomorrow. The ball is now in the companies court. If they want another war then it is war they will have. If they choose to seek a fair and peacefull resolution then they will have the full support of every line pilot union or not. Time will soon tell my friend, as for now Mat and the negotiating commitee has my full support.

Well Said

Then and Now

Then:

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:05 AM
To: [removed]
Cc: [ex-Ffops pilot]
Subject: Fwd: Resume
[removed],

Here is [ex-flops pilot] resume. [ex-flops pilot] was our Industrial Relations Chairman and was terminated from Flight Options under questionable circumstances. We consider him to be a hostage. As we discussed on the phone, he would like to apply for employment at [removed]. Anything you could do to expedite this process would be much appreciated. Please let me know what you can come up with.

Mat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/8/08
Notes from the P2P Meeting:
“All hostages will be coming back one way or another, including the canpass hostages.”

Now:

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Mat Slinghoff <[email protected]> wrote:

[ex-flops pilot],

On several occasions we have approached senior management, including the new administration, on behalf of all the pilots, you included, who were terminated for various reasons since the Union was voted in. We were successful in getting one terminated pilot reinstated, while another terminated pilot settled his dispute with the company. That settlement did not include his reinstatement. Management has made it clear they have no interest in returning the remaining terminated pilots to employment at Flight Options under any circumstances. I am sorry, but their is nothing further we can do on your behalf at this company.

Mat

Latest resources

Back