• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chuck Norris would take the plane. He doesnt shoot approaches...he murders them.

Hauling people around texas in bandits 25 years ago is irrevalent. Lawyers have stepped and and killed it. Deferred pack, no APU in the summertime, plane doesnt go. The subsequent lawsuit is not worth it. Thats judgement. There was an outcry due to lack of judgement on the Expressjet captain that diverted to an outstation where there was no ground support and left the pax on the plane all night long. Common thread, pax convienence and comfort. Remember, they pay your salary. If they aren't there, you aren't there in some degree. Those of us that have been in the 91/135 world, we get it. Deferred F/D and autopilot, fly the damn airplane.

Good points, but i hope you realize you validated my "don't feel like it, and here's why" argument.

"Is it legal and if so, is it safe?" is not a do all end all question for any situation.

The no AP/FD scenario is obviously legal as stated and perfectly safe...and well within most folk's skillset. But do they feel like it? Maybe so. Maybe not.

That might mean they are concerned with other issues such as certificate action, or the general work atmosphere at their workplace.

Kinda like being worried about taking a perfectly legal and safe, defered APU.

I think the real argument here is (or should be) restrictions to pilots hand flying aircraft raw data. If using all of the automation in all segments of flight is a limitation, then the limitation should require this automation to be operable for every flight.

By mandating the full use of automation all of the time the airline is de facto saying it is unsafe to hand fly raw data. Does it all of a sudden become safe again when the equipment is MELd?

I don't know the specifics of airlines that require full use of automation (I think I'll start a new thread on that), but I'm lucky enough to be able to "stay current" by using as much or little automation as I want on any leg (using discretion, of course).

I assume this happened to you today. How about you don't try to second-guess your Captain?

Once you upgrade, you will get to make the big decisions that I know you crave to make. When that happens I'm sure you'll appreciate your FOs calling you out on Flightinfo.
I hope my FO can keep me honest and are comfrotable speaking up when they are concerened, hopefully when we are in the A/C and not on the overnight on FI.

Depends....is there a hot half Indian girl waiting for me at the hotel?

The point is use your company manuals and answer this question - can the flight be completed within the manual limitations? If it can - take it. Don't let your 'judgment' get in the way of a sound decision. .

A CRJ with an APU deferred "within the manual limitations" can easily reach 100+ degrees in the cabin with an OAT of 60. Have fun with that. And as for the bold part, well I just don't know what to say about that kind of logic...

Latest resources

Back