• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think its funny when someone says they can fly the plane better then the computer!! ahahahahah... Love that, "I AM as good as the 'puter".
Sorry, but no ur not!!

Ya I do too!!!! So funny that some pilots actually have this thing called skills.
Sorry but this impossible feat you mention is not hard at all and shouldn't be for you either.

Scary comments on this thread....

Last edited:
Some of you guys are nuts. Do you really want to be in the back of a jet with the average pilot out there (many of whom were hired with 200-500hrs TT at the age of maybe 20) on a plane without any of the technology we've had for the past what, 80 years, and fly into hard IFR using skills that haven't been practiced and maintain in perhaps years?

The crew in BUF had all the automation in hard IFR and icing and still landed upside down on a house. We still have crews that can't fly an RNAV and can't set the flaps for takeoff and pull weeds out on rotation.

Not everyone is "Sully".. The automation wasn't created for the Sully's out there. It was created for the average joe/jane to keep them from killing their pax. Crews shouldn't really be given the option to accept a jet without at least the FD into known instrument approach situation from an operational standpoint. It's a huge liability. And we all know we have a few gems here that would do some damage under those conditions.

Last edited:
I don't really think it's nuts for an 'average' pilot to be able to hand fly an ILS to minimums, much less 1.5 vis. As a pax, i would expect that every comm. pilot has this ability as a minimum skill. If you can't do that, then you don't belong behind the controls.

Two of the highest deviations in the ASAP program are lateral and altitude. Most of those crews probably have the AP and FD available to them. Are they all poor pilots who should hand fly more? No. It includes all of us--those who hand fly and those who don't. Should we be able to fly with both inop? Yes. Am I going to do it on purpose with that weather? Nope, it isn't prudent.

I have flown with both captains and fos, good pilots, bad pilots, instructors, and chief pilots. No one can operate the plane as effectively as when they have an autopilot. Why? Because it reduces workload so that when something else requires more attention the pilot can give it.

I really think we are to the point in aviation where we have no business deferring two things, autopilots and TCAS. I'm sure some of you will now argue about how your eyes are better than TCAS given your heightened state of situational awareness. After all, those freight planes didn't have them and we all survived.

Some of you guys are nuts. Do you really want to be in the back of a jet with the average pilot out there (many of whom were hired with 200-500hrs TT at the age of maybe 20) on a plane without any of the technology we've had for the past what, 80 years, and fly into hard IFR using skills that haven't been practiced and maintain in perhaps years?

Maybe we should be practicing those hard IFR skills on a regular basis, so when the time comes to use them we can?

Yes I would take it. Not sure what the problem is, just fly the plane. If you find that the two of you can't fly the plane then divert to somewhere with good weather.

I really think we are to the point in aviation where we have no business deferring two things, autopilots and TCAS. I'm sure some of you will now argue about how your eyes are better than TCAS given your heightened state of situational awareness. After all, those freight planes didn't have them and we all survived.

A GIA Captain was fired for refusing an inop TCAS, not too long ago. There may have been some politics involved, though. He's since been reinstated.

The crew in BUF had all the automation in hard IFR and icing and still landed upside down on a house. We still have crews that can't fly an RNAV and can't set the flaps for takeoff and pull weeds out on rotation.

Not everyone is "Sully".. The automation wasn't created for the Sully's out there. It was created for the average joe/jane to keep them from killing their pax. Crews shouldn't really be given the option to accept a jet without at least the FD into known instrument approach situation from an operational standpoint. It's a huge liability. And we all know we have a few gems here that would do some damage under those conditions.

Well then quit hiring pilots who can't fly....The damn autopilot can't even track the LOC with a crosswind.....Fly the airplane....it's no different than any other airplane......

What would happen with these folks with the Bandit and 14 hour days without autopilots, FD's, and HSI's.....

Sorry...getting tired of the whining....

What would happen with these folks with the Bandit and 14 hour days without autopilots, FD's, and HSI's.....

"Uphill, both ways in the snow-with a poodle latched on to my left testicle."

-Yeah, we heard it all before, Joe.... We still don't care.

What I find amusing is how many of the pilots thumping their chests in this thread and bragging about "real" pilots flying raw data approaches to mins by braille are the same guys whining in the "Age 65" threads about safety and nearly pissing their pants at just the remote possibility that an over-60 captain might die and leave them alone in the cockpit.

Latest resources

Back