• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in the 60's flying world wide, I didn't know what those things were and I was flying approaches to 100' and 1/4 mile on raw data, with no ILS, why would I take take that airplane today? BTW However if a person is not confident in their ability to fly raw data, then they should not take the trip.

So? That's a skill you should have learned already as a student pilot.

Good point, but a lot of those 300-500 hour wonders that the regionals all a hired a few years ago are the 3000 hour Captains now. And, no doubt skilled and qualifed, however, only to a certain point.

be what's legal is not always safe, right. If you're not comfortable with it don't take that plane.

I concur 100% with your statement.

"A man's GOT to know his limitations."

The point is that a PROFICIENT professional pilot, lacking extenuating circumstances, should NOT be uncomfortable about making such a flight. This takes self initiative and practice.

Who the he!! are you? I would not board your airplane under perfect conditions. Please post your schedule and post it regularly.

You guys are retards.

The question is, IS IT LEGAL.

Answer is NO.

Sure, we can all fly an ILS. GREAT!

You guys are retards.

The question is, IS IT LEGAL.

Answer is NO.

Sure, we can all fly an ILS. GREAT!
is that becasue it is not allowed by the MEL? It is certainly not illegal in other aircraft.

is that becasue it is not allowed by the MEL? It is certainly not illegal in other aircraft.

Yip, it's an OpsSpec thing. Most of us are perfectly capable of flying raw data. I and many guys I fly with (cept the old guys) handfly raw data most visuals and many departures at the outstations, however most of us do not handfly raw data approaches in actual conditions because (and I agree with this philosophy) it's a workload intense exercise that most of us rarely do, even in the sim, so you get rusty. If the OpsSpecs allowed us to fly raw data handflown under hard IFR conditions, they'd include it in our training every year.

Last edited:
Yip, it's an OpsSpec thing. Most of us are perfectly capable of flying raw data. I and many guys I fly with (cept the old guys) handfly raw data most visuals and many departures at the outstations, however most of us do not handfly raw data approaches in actual conditions because (and I agree with this philosophy) it's a workload intense exercise that most of us rarely do, even in the sim, so you get rusty. If the OpsSpecs allowed us to fly raw data handflown under hard IFR conditions, they'd include it in our training every year.
thanks, flying old steam dial stuff, I was unaware there are ops specs that require automation in order to fly IFR approaches. What number is it?

Latest resources

Back