• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The vast majority of posters on this thread would never have passed training at Great Lakes. How many fatal accidents has Great Lakes been found at fault for....hmm... They routinely have 1500hr captains flying with 250hr FOs. They fly in the Rockies. The answer to the previous question: ZERO.

ahhhhhh, Yawn........

Well then quit hiring pilots who can't fly....The damn autopilot can't even track the LOC with a crosswind.....Fly the airplane....it's no different than any other airplane......

What would happen with these folks with the Bandit and 14 hour days without autopilots, FD's, and HSI's.....

Sorry...getting tired of the whining....

I'm not behind the hiring process, Joe. I agree with you sentiment but wtf am I supposed to do about it.. Just stating my views on it. It's called "reality," not something guys on the right side of the spectrum are used to accepting ;)

Well, opinions and buttholes?

Everyone is ignoring the main issue. Like I said before, as originally stated, the scenario is legal and safe-just not as safe as a perfect plane-but no big deal.

The question is whether or not you would take it? And that is a question we quite often find ourselves asking. Some pilots refuse a defered APU or single PACK CRJ200 when it's hot. Is it legal? Is it safe? Everyone agrees it's legal, but some refuse based on safety concerns for heatstroked passengers and crew.

And while the heat stroked safety concern is valid, what about the millions of passengers hauled all over Texas in Bandits? I was not there, but I've never heard of a Bandit actually killing anyone in August.

Additionally, I find it ironic that some of the "old timers" calling the no-go voters weak sisters, are some of the most militant when it comes to defered APUs or PACKS.

It comes down to what you feel like doing and whether or not you feel the company has your back. On the autopilot/flight director issue, the company can't help you much anyway, if there's some kind of altitude or lateral deviation.

And another point is that the CRJ is one unstable-pitchy-pain in the butt in level flight. A short flight is not an issue. Just plan your climb and descent to minimize level flight. The approaches are definitely none issues.

But if you've had one of those days, or weeks, and the company is being a multifaceted jerk, say no. You're not being a wuss. You just may not be in the mood to work that hard or risk your papers. Good comes around and ASA management has not earned much good lately.

Well, opinions and buttholes?

Everyone is ignoring the main issue. Like I said before, as originally stated, the scenario is legal and safe-just not as safe as a perfect plane-but no big deal.

The question is whether or not you would take it? And that is a question we quite often find ourselves asking. Some pilots refuse a defered APU or single PACK CRJ200 when it's hot. Is it legal? Is it safe? Everyone agrees it's legal, but some refuse based on safety concerns for heatstroked passengers and crew.

And while the heat stroked safety concern is valid, what about the millions of passengers hauled all over Texas in Bandits? I was not there, but I've never heard of a Bandit actually killing anyone in August.

Additionally, I find it ironic that some of the "old timers" calling the no-go voters weak sisters, are some of the most militant when it comes to defered APUs or PACKS.

It comes down to what you feel like doing and whether or not you feel the company has your back. On the autopilot/flight director issue, the company can't help you much anyway, if there's some kind of altitude or lateral deviation.

And another point is that the CRJ is one unstable-pitchy-pain in the butt in level flight. A short flight is not an issue. Just plan your climb and descent to minimize level flight. The approaches are definitely none issues.

But if you've had one of those days, or weeks, and the company is being a multifaceted jerk, say no. You're not being a wuss. You just may not be in the mood to work that hard or risk your papers. Good comes around and ASA management has not earned much good lately.

Hauling people around texas in bandits 25 years ago is irrevalent. Lawyers have stepped and and killed it. Deferred pack, no APU in the summertime, plane doesnt go. The subsequent lawsuit is not worth it. Thats judgement. There was an outcry due to lack of judgement on the Expressjet captain that diverted to an outstation where there was no ground support and left the pax on the plane all night long. Common thread, pax convienence and comfort. Remember, they pay your salary. If they aren't there, you aren't there in some degree. Those of us that have been in the 91/135 world, we get it. Deferred F/D and autopilot, fly the damn airplane.

What if the autopilot worked by the F/D was inop... ASA FOs would you take it? Discuss. Assuming the company was good to you that week.

If you can't fly an approach down to mins with max x-wind component raw data, you should not have an instrument rating.

would depend on the alternates and the wx there. not to mention how many legs that day. if i was just signing in first leg, then yes. after one or two turns possibly not. would depend on the day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back