Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you fly a single-engine airplane across the Atlantic???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, whatever.

Kigair, have fun doing an ocean crossing in a 152 or something...with your head stuck out the window so you can use the sextant. After all...if Ernie Gann did it in a DC-2...surely you, me or anyone else can.

Pilots flew in IMC with no wx radar, no FSS, poor forecasts, no convective outlooks, no TAFs or METARS, no strikefinders...etc. So, surely then it's just part of the flying experience that we all ought to be endeavoring in, right?

Last edited:
In 1996 i flew a non-turbo 182 from wichita to South Africa. Had a 220 USG aux tank in the cabin. Two guys I worked with flew 172's, 152's, mooneys, bonanzas, cherokee 6, all over the pacific. it was 26 hours to hono in a 172. they went in a large group and only one had the hf radio. great way to see alot of nothing. the north atlantic in nothing. bangor, gander, narsarsuuaq, kef or reykavic, prestwick. all about 700 miles. there used to be an outfit in fla that had the exclusive delivery for piper vero beach and flew all their single engine stuff. if you ever get to the bangor fbo, look at the sign in book. you'll be amazed at what goes through there and where its going. cheers.

Hugh Johnson said:
In 1996 i flew a non-turbo 182 from wichita to South Africa. Had a 220 USG aux tank in the cabin. Two guys I worked with flew 172's, 152's, mooneys, bonanzas, cherokee 6, all over the pacific. it was 26 hours to hono in a 172. they went in a large group and only one had the hf radio. great way to see alot of nothing. the north atlantic in nothing. bangor, gander, narsarsuuaq, kef or reykavic, prestwick. all about 700 miles. there used to be an outfit in fla that had the exclusive delivery for piper vero beach and flew all their single engine stuff. if you ever get to the bangor fbo, look at the sign in book. you'll be amazed at what goes through there and where its going. cheers.

That outfit is still there in FL, still taking new singles across. I took a new Piper warrior across in August for them, and was in the process of taking a new 172 over 2 weeks ago, but paperwork issues put a stop to it for now.

I have taken a Cheyenne from India to North Dakota, and that Piper from Fl to Denmark. My longest leg was about 12:30, from St Johns to Reykjavik in that piper. And yes, Icelandic women are hot. there is a certain Icelandic customs woman in Reykjavik, who can frisk and handcuff me anytime.

There is a unofficial club for those who have been in a flight more than 24 hours, its called the Over a Day club, or something like that.

One can actually take many kinds of GA airplanes across the most northern route untanked, however you will be much more dependent on good weather and favorable winds, and it can end up taking you longer, and costing you more, than if you had the plane tanked up to go all the way across.

I think the general consensus is.........

Young with no obligations or family--- yes I'll do it

Been around the block, family, obligations, etc.-----hell no

Put me down for a hell no.

414Flyer, I salute you. There are those of us who have flown GA in India, and there is everyone else. Here's to the sh!%@$ing fields in Mumbai (Bombay). Here's to the 26 stamps on your flight plan that have to be in the right order. Here's to head waggers. Here's to landing at an unfamiliar airport and looking for the yellow customs sign. Tiger beer for you my friend.

I do about 2 trips a month across. Don't ask me why... except that I always said I want to see the world before I get a real job. This certainly fits the bill. The company I work for does everything from 172s and PA28s to BE20s. Closest trip was to England, and the furthest to China. Just got back from taking a Warrior to England and a c208 to Africa. It is a lot of fun, but definatly isn't for everyone.

I respect those that want no part of a single engine crossing as much as those who do it all the time.

Hugh Johnson said:
414Flyer, I salute you. There are those of us who have flown GA in India, and there is everyone else. Here's to the sh!%@$ing fields in Mumbai (Bombay). Here's to the 26 stamps on your flight plan that have to be in the right order. Here's to head waggers. Here's to landing at an unfamiliar airport and looking for the yellow customs sign. Tiger beer for you my friend.

Yeah I had the "pleasure" of flying in India for 5 months last year. About a week after I got back, then I got asked to go back and take two of those Cheyennes out of India to Oman. Then an experiened ferry pilot met me in Oman, and we each brought one back from there.

Dont forget about the carbon copy flight plans done in triplicate, signed off by weather office, communications office, tower, etc. Crappy enroute ATC, YA numbers, just a staggering amount of bureaucracy.

I did get to see a Indian SU-30 had an emergency landing, was interesting how IAF denied it all, eventually claiming it was a practice drill. sure, if one practices a drill by sending an SU-30 on fire with no brakes, into an arresting barrier.

I'd do it- only if I was being paid though.

I already fly 850+ nm legs in Caravans pretty regularly, and spend a whole lot of time looking down on the great lakes. Don't really enjoy it, but hell- it would be cooler going across the Atlantic than going to that miserable hole known as Texas and all the other "exotic" auto parts destinations in the U.S. and Canada all the time. :nuts:

There is a good book called The Cockpit by Paul Gahlinger. A true story about a university professor who quit his job and flew his single-engine Cessna from California to South Africa.

At this point in time with my little experience.. Heck NO... that doesnt mean that later on down the road if the opportunity came up I would say No...

Latest resources

Back