Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you fly a single-engine airplane across the Atlantic???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would if given the opportunity. Take the proper precautions and you should be ok. It would be a fun trip. I would prefer to do it with someone who has crossed before before I do it solo.

Flying Illini said:
Take the proper precautions and you should be ok.
Should implies you should, but you might not! I don't think fighting to save my life in the Atlantic is worth it to me to be wrong! I'm all for a little adventure and fun, but when you weigh risk vs. benefit - this whole process doesn't seem that necessary for me!

Besides, I'm one of those people that is always the "1" in the 99 out of a 100 people statements. If it can happen, it probably will happen with me. I know my limitations based on that theory!

1) Since I am a professional pilot (whore) I will say for the right price I will do anything.

2) I am very familiar with the North Atlantic, would I do it without being paid for it. Maybe. There is a lot of cold water but it is an adventure so in that light I would like to do it. I feel that you can do anything safely and I would go to extremes to make sure I had a chance if the 1% chance became a 100% chance.

3)As for the weather in KEF. a zero, zero approach is a piece of cake, 80kts and just fly the airplane till the tires hit the pavement. KEF has CATIII approach and lighting, simple for a light aircraft.

4)The winds aloft would be my main concern hence a big fuel tank and a lot of fuel would be a must. I have seen things change aloft and on the ground in a nano second.

UnAnswerd said:
User, interesting links. I didn't even think a C-150 had that type of range. How many miles are we talking here???
If you take a northerly route the longest over-water distance is roughly 600 NM - certainly a doable distance for many light aircraft. Certainly there are many singles that make the trip without incident each year. There are also several cases of singles having to ditch in open water each year. Statisically, you can make the trip without expectations of problems - after all, how many engine failures are you going to experience? I've got my share of oceanic crossing under my belt and I've looked down on the North Atlantic and wondered how Lindberg had the cajones to take that trip - looking down at scattered icebergs in whitecapped waters takes away any desire that I might have in making the trip in a single. Even with a survival suit, your life expectency isn't very long. The suit would probably only prolong the inevitable.

I've made a career out of minimizing risks. There was I time when I wouldn't have given much thought about flying a properly maintained and equipted single anywhere, anytime - those days are long gone. In a single you have absolutely no redundancy of the only component that will keep your keester dry.

Now, let's discuss the trip in a Twin Commanche or other light twin. I think that that would be a hoot - provided my wallet could withstand the price of 100LL in Europe.

'Sled

USAF F-16 guys do it. Not that they have any choice. The first time I did, I was glad I had chosen to fly the F-15. At least 2 engines make for a much more relaxed crossing.
:beer:

Kream926 said:
think about the old days and tha nads the settlers did years ago crossin the country with only 1 horse
Yeah, but when the horse croaked, they just pulled over and ate it... When the engine dies and you are bobbing in the North Atlantic, you are dinner...

I have nine Atlantic crossings in a TBM 700, did not even break a sweat.

siucavflight said:
I have nine Atlantic crossings in a TBM 700, did not even break a sweat.
Cool; who do you work for to do that, Socata? Also, what kind of times are they looking for for that?

thanks

User997 said:
Should implies you should, but you might not! I don't think fighting to save my life in the Atlantic is worth it to me to be wrong! I'm all for a little adventure and fun, but when you weigh risk vs. benefit - this whole process doesn't seem that necessary for me!

Besides, I'm one of those people that is always the "1" in the 99 out of a 100 people statements. If it can happen, it probably will happen with me. I know my limitations based on that theory!

Do a Vmc demo properly and you SHOULD be ok. Cross the mountains single engine, follow the highways and you SHOULD be ok. SHould applies to alot of stuff. look both ways before crossing the street and you SHOULD be ok. Sure, there is risk involved in dooing a single engine crossing, but there is risk in everything. Do whatever you can to minimize the risk and go for it. To each his own. You wouldn't, I would. Doesn't make either one of us better than the other.

Latest resources

Back