Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you fly a single-engine airplane across the Atlantic???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Count me in. Not sure why everyone is so worried about the engine quitting. Haven't had one crap out on me since I stopped flying junk. I'm pretty sure the odds are fairly good that any given piston airplane engine that is reasonably maintained will run for the next 30 hours. I'd be more concerned about icing up or hitting an iceberg while scud running (so as not to ice up) or having to shoot a zero/zero approach in Iceland. With my luck, the delivery of 55gal drums of $10/gal Avgas would be late and I'd be stuck freezing my sack off for weeks!

pilotmiketx said:
Count me in. Not sure why everyone is so worried about the engine quitting. Haven't had one crap out on me since I stopped flying junk. I'm pretty sure the odds are fairly good that any given piston airplane engine that is reasonably maintained will run for the next 30 hours. I'd be more concerned about icing up or hitting an iceberg while scud running (so as not to ice up) or having to shoot a zero/zero approach in Iceland. With my luck, the delivery of 55gal drums of $10/gal Avgas would be late and I'd be stuck freezing my sack off for weeks!

Have you not seen the girls in Iceland ? I'd be real happy if I was "stuck" there for a few weeks. You may have to worry about something else happening to your sack, but freezing it off wouldn't be one of them :D .

TP

viper548 said:
Turboprop yes, piston no
I can dig it...let's go!

We'll rent some exposure suits, a life raft or two and some emergency communication gear; we'll enjoy a wonderful experience that most will never see. On the other side of the pond, we'll drink beers, have a great meal and reflect. I'll bring my wife...ut oh, she's already packed! :eek:

User997 said:
This guy did it in his Cessna 152! No friggin' way! I don't even want to fly to a neighboring state in a 152, little lone cross the Atlantic!!
http://www.cessna150-152.com/transatlantic.htm

i took one to AMA once......never doin it again. i drove from buffalo Ny to here solo....never doin that again

think about the old days and tha nads the settlers did years ago crossin the country with only 1 horse

(name the movie)

I knew some flying AG Cats from the west coast to PHNL. They would fly in pairs so that if one had to ditch the other would stay in the area until help arrived and then ditch along side the other so they could both be picked up. ETE was around 22 to 24 hours as I recall. Not a job for everyone to be sure, but I have probably done other things that would be called dumb.

If the proper precautions were taken and survival equipment was on board, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It would be an amazing experience.

Oh, and Typhoon, my mom wouldn't let me play football. ;) I played baseball for 10 years though. Played catcher. That's sort of like football, right?

-Goose

Because I've had an alternator/total electrical failure on an XC flight before. Over the ocean, at night, 1200nm from my alternate, with no real navigation on board (ok, presumably I have a handheld GPS for this trip) doesn't sound worth whatever I'm being paid to make this flight.

Latest resources

Back