Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you fly a single-engine airplane across the Atlantic???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turbine, probably....with a survival suit on the entire time over water, North atlantic waters are Cold! Very Cold!

Piston??? Probably in my younger days, before I ceased being bullet proof and such. Not now with family and kids.

Does it make me a wuss? Well maybe, I still ride very fast on dirt bikes and love big jumps, but I make sure the medical insurance is paid up. I bought a bigger boat primarly so I had two engines when I was 50 and 60 miles out at sea hunting that whopper Tuna. If I do not want to be 50 miles out with one piston motor, in something that will not sink just because the engine quit, I sure do not want to be 600 miles out in a single engine Mooney or similar!!!

The North Atlantic looks mighty unforgiving looking down from the cockpit of a 747.........I will stick with my current mode of transport across the pond!

Guess I am just turning into a big wimp in my mid thirties!! :)

johnpeace said:
Because I've had an alternator/total electrical failure on an XC flight before. Over the ocean, at night, 1200nm from my alternate, with no real navigation on board (ok, presumably I have a handheld GPS for this trip) doesn't sound worth whatever I'm being paid to make this flight.

So have I, I'd probably make the crossing anyway.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Turbine, probably....with a survival suit on the entire time over water, North atlantic waters are Cold! Very Cold!........

Hitting the water after an ejection, the general gouge when I was doing it was the survival suit might buy you an extra 15 minutes. Maybe civilians have better suits - you know the rep of government issued stuff. If you could get in and stay in your raft, you might have a chance. If the water was rough, most guys figured they'd be better off just unzipping the suit so they could go quickly. It was going to take a while for some helo out of Kef to get there and find you (maybe).

AdlerDriver said:
Hitting the water after an ejection, the general gouge when I was doing it was the survival suit might buy you an extra 15 minutes. Maybe civilians have better suits - you know the rep of government issued stuff. If you could get in and stay in your raft, you might have a chance. If the water was rough, most guys figured they'd be better off just unzipping the suit so they could go quickly. It was going to take a while for some helo out of Kef to get there and find you (maybe).

Yeah not much chance long term without a raft. I had a boat engine quit about 25 miles out before, even in radio range of the Coast Guard and warm water the thought of being out there without power was not a good one. Got it running with the tools and spare parts that I carry aboard, however I decided that day to work out the finances to get something with twins hanging on the transom. Costs me more in gas on a yearly basis, but I can fish now without getting a bad feeling everytime the engine loads up a little and coughs.

Gotta respect the ocean, it plays by it's own rules.

Oh my, how did you ever find your way home?

It was no big deal...I wasn't in the middle of a 2000nm leg over the featureless ocean.

It did give me some insight into the kind of crap that can happen in little airplanes though, and was the first thing I thought of when considering the question of would I fly a single across an ocean.

At this point in my experience continuum...not a chance.

An important safety factor

Besides having a dry suit on (uncomfortable, but necessary) AND easy, dependable access to a raft, a very important factor is whether or not the gear retracts. A successful ditching in a fixed gear airplane is unlikely, no matter how favorable the sea conditions.

johnpeace said:
It was no big deal...I wasn't in the middle of a 2000nm leg over the featureless ocean.

Gee, how did the pilots of the early trans-atlantic flights ever make it across the pond without GPS.....

johnpeace said:

It did give me some insight into the kind of crap that can happen in little airplanes though, and was the first thing I thought of when considering the question of would I fly a single across an ocean.

At this point in my experience continuum...not a chance.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Latest resources

Back