Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would SKYW inc trade ASA PBS and dumping ALPA for 1 list?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The "intel" from the PNCL TA is that is was rushed because of a new RFP...

No, it was rushed at the end because the NMB was getting pissed off that both sides were spending time bickering about dual qual.

I think it's funny how you obviously have me confused with somebody else, yet I continue to get you worked up. All I did on the last contract was to vote in favor of it.

Yeah...OK...I know that members of the MEC, CNC, and Communications Comm. post on here anonymously to keep people in line...Attacking dissension and deflecting blame are two themes...You use both...

sweptback said:
Last time in negotiations, for part of it we had 2 bases, one with exclusively 700 flying, and one with 80% 200 and 20% 700 flying. That to me is a safety issue, especially if you were SLC based (RIP) and expected to fly a 200 after not flying one for months.

Then to you it is still a safety issue...There will be times when you won't fly one or the other for months...Don't blame it on the "senior" pilots...That is a lie and you just admitted that you and others played the "safety card"...

I disagree with the "safety" argument...The instructors do it....Mesa does it...Are you implying that our line pilots aren't as good as the instructors or Mesa pilots? I'm flying the 200 now. I would have no problem getting in an ATR today. When I'm off I fly a C172, a Twin Comanche, and a Bonanza...Is that safe?

sweptback said:
It doesn't take a genius to realize that dual qual and PBS will be the company's major issues in negotiations. Since it appears they're already being flexible on PBS, why not dual qual too?

It doesn't take a genius to realize that we are the high cost operator and other regionals new to the DCI "family" are positioning themselves for any growth that may come down the road. It doesn't take a genius to realize that ALPA overplayed the "safety card" on dual qual. It doesn't take a genius to realize that PBS is going to come eventually whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
No, it was rushed at the end because the NMB was getting pissed off that both sides were spending time bickering about dual qual.

Your beloved Democratic Obama NMB? Say it ain't so comrade...Having negotiated in front of the NMB myself, there is no way it was rushed because of that single issue....The NMB can't rush it anyway...You know that...

The NMB has 3 options:

1. Release
2. Park (recess)
3. Continue negotiations

They cannot rush the negotiations as you imply.

Then to you it is still a safety issue...There will be times when you won't fly one or the other for months...Don't blame it on the "senior" pilots...That is a lie and you just admitted that you and others played the "safety card"...

I disagree with the "safety" argument...The instructors do it....Mesa does it...Are you implying that our line pilots aren't as good as the instructors or Mesa pilots? I'm flying the 200 now. I would have no problem getting in an ATR today. When I'm off I fly a C172, a Twin Comanche, and a Bonanza...Is that safe?
Think about the politics of the argument, the SLC base was mostly senior (at least until towards the end) and all flew the 700.

Your second paragraph is just baiting me. I'm not going to address it, except to say that the GA accident rate is much higher than that of the airlines, mostly because of the lack of type-specific training. Do with that what you will.

Think about the politics of the argument, the SLC base was mostly senior (at least until towards the end) and all flew the 700.

Your second paragraph is just baiting me. I'm not going to address it, except to say that the GA accident rate is much higher than that of the airlines, mostly because of the lack of type-specific training. Do with that what you will.

You are still doing the "ALPA two step". You are making it a safety issue, yet trying to blame it on the "senior" pilots....ATL was more senior than SLC on the 700 by the way....

We aren't going to agree on the "safety" argument...I don't believe that the accident rate is higher at GA because of lack of "type-specific training". It is higher because of lower experience, equipment (including maintenance), and less stringent operating rules and restrictions.

For argument sake, let's say I had type specific training in the 172, Bonanza, and Twin Comanche as you say is the reason for the higher accident rate...Would it then be safe for me to fly the different airplanes?
Did you know that our ATR instructors, who are currently 700 line pilots, are still qualified and used to move the 4 ATRs that still sit in MCN...Is that "safe"?

I'm not "baiting" you...I'm holding you and the rest of the MEC/CNC/Commun. Comm. accountable for what you say...

Your beloved Democratic Obama NMB? Say it ain't so comrade...

I agreed with the NMB. Arguing over this issue when everything else had been TA'd was ridiculous.

Having negotiated in front of the NMB myself, there is no way it was rushed because of that single issue....The NMB can't rush it anyway...You know that...

The NMB has 3 options:

1. Release
2. Park (recess)
3. Continue negotiations

They cannot rush the negotiations as you imply.

Take a look at #2, Joey. That's what was going to happen if they kept pushing back on the dual qual issue. When you get threatened with being parked after 5 years of bargaining, you start to move quickly.

I agreed with the NMB. Arguing over this issue when everything else had been TA'd was ridiculous.

There is no way that was the only open issue at the end, unless ALPA had already caved on the other issues...Pay and workrules are far behind the ASA negotiated pay and workrules that were negotiated under a Bush Republican NMB...Now you want me to believe that a Democratic Obama NMB was harder on PNCL....sorry, I don't buy it...

PCL_128 said:
Take a look at #2, Joey. That's what was going to happen if they kept pushing back on the dual qual issue. When you get threatened with being parked after 5 years of bargaining, you start to move quickly.

That is what happened at ASA both in 1998, and in 2007....What happened when ASA was parked? Watching you do the "ALPA two step" is entertaining if nothing else...."Obama's going to fix things"...."The new Democratic NMB is going make life better"...."We are going to 'take it back'"....

Then when PCL caves, the excuse machine goes into high speed....Quick let's try excuse #4 out of the play book.....

How's the industry leading contract at Air Tran coming?

There is no way that was the only open issue at the end, unless ALPA had already caved on the other issues...

It was indeed. Everything else was settled a couple of months ago. They finished up scope back then, and suddenly the company decided that dual qual was a major concern for them, even though they had never brought it up before. They bickered over the minutiae of dual qual for all this time, and finally came to a reasonable compromise.

Pay and workrules are far behind the ASA negotiated pay and workrules that were negotiated under a Bush Republican NMB...Now you want me to believe that a Democratic Obama NMB was harder on PNCL....sorry, I don't buy it...

Most of the work rules were TA'd way back when I was still on the MEC. We TA'd the scheduling section in early '07, still two years before we would finally be rid of Shrub. As far as pay, it really isn't that far off from ASA rates, from what I hear.

That is what happened at ASA both in 1998, and in 2007....What happened when ASA was parked? Watching you do the "ALPA two step" is entertaining if nothing else...."Obama's going to fix things"...."The new Democratic NMB is going make life better"...."We are going to 'take it back'"....

The Obama NMB is doing a great job, actually. Unfortunately, you can't undo what was done while Shrub was still running things.

How's the industry leading contract at Air Tran coming?

I don't think we've ever said that we're looking for "industry leading" at AirTran. Muck like PCL, our contract had far too many things to correct to ever assume that we could get an industry-leading contract on this go-around. We're looking for industry-standard while holding on to a couple of industry-leading items that we already have, like the the 12 hour duty day.

And yes, it's going very well. In just the few months since ALPA's been helping us, we've TA'd 9 sections with good improvements in each one. Just TA'd the latest one yesterday.

Wow, you truly are a sky GOD! All that experience and yet, still stuck at ASA?
I bet you could sue 60,000 ALPA members a the wave of a simple wand!
You go girl!

Latest resources

Back